guard.me is contacting all those impacted by the privacy incident directly and is posting customer information on their website.
NIC takes the privacy of our students and community seriously, and we know data security is important. We have been working with guard.me to understand how guard.me plans to increase their security, communicate with, and support students throughout this process.
We understand the incident potentially affects the personal, health and financial information of students and employees who have used guard.me.
Here are some steps you can take now to protect your privacy:
- guard.me is offering credit monitoring services to individuals impacted by this incident for the next year. Contact guard.me for more information.
- If you use your guard.me password for other websites or services, we recommend you change it immediately. It is never a good idea to use the same password for multiple systems, as a breach in one system can put others at risk.
- Remain vigilant, as always, to the possibility of fraud and identity theft by reviewing your financial statements and accounts regularly for any unauthorized activity. Notify your local law enforcement of any suspicious activity.
- Visit the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre to learn how to protect yourself from scams and fraud.
- Visit getcybersafe.ca to learn about cyber security and the simple steps you can take to protect yourself online.
If you have NIC-specific questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Otherwise, please refer to the guard.me customer notice or contact guard.me directly at email@example.com or at 1-888-348-1946 or +1 905-752-6207.