IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES
- Sat, April. 10, 2021 – Fri, April. 23, 2021: Winter final exams
- Tues, April. 27, 2021: NIC Foundation Awards Application Deadline
- Thurs, April. 29, 2021 – Fri, April. 30, 2021: International student orientation
- Friday, April. 30, 2021: Registration deadline for regalia order and graduation photos.
- Meet NIC’s New President Dr. Lisa Domae. Take a break from your studies, celebrate the end of the term and meet NIC’s next president. Dr. Lisa Domae would like to meet with students during her first week to answer student questions, as she develops NIC’s next strategic plan. The one-hour question and answer forum, will be held Friday, April 16 from 11:30 am to 12:30 pm and all students are invited.
“Students are at the heart of NIC and I am committed to learning from you,” said Domae. “Please take some time, and meet me online”.
The sessions will be facilitated by students from across the region. They will also be recorded for students who are unable to attend at that time.
To register, email email@example.com.
- Summer Co-Op, Internship, & Job Opportunities. Are you looking for a co-op, internships, or job for this summer? Now is the time to apply! Check out job postings on CareerCentral and the events calendar to attend weekly job searching sessions. You can also book an appointment with an Employment Services Advisor and get some one-on-one assistance for your summer job search! For more info email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NIC Graduation. NIC students from 2020/21 & 2019/20 academic years - it's time to celebrate with regalia & pictures to mark your academic milestone. For more information and details on grad photos, visit the graduation webpage.
IMPORTANT NOTE - In order to receive your credential, you must complete the Application for Credential form and email it to email@example.com.
UPCOMING IN THE COMMUNITY
- Student Essay Contest. The Fraser Institute has an essay writing contest where you can showcase you ideas on public policy and the role of markets - $9000.00 in cash prizes are available! The rules, essay guidelines, and past examples of winning essays can be found at studentessaycontest.org and the deadline for submissions is June 1, 2021.
- Comox Valley Campus – Construction Notice. The Ministry of Transportation & Highways is preparing to install a signalized pedestrian-controlled crosswalk at the Ryan Road entrance of the Comox Valley campus. Please plan on utilizing the Lerwick Road entrance for all access to the college during this work for the upcoming weeks.
ONGOING SUPPORTS AND SERVICES
- NIC Bookstore Update – The Comox Valley & Campbell River bookstores are open from 10 am – 2 pm Monday through Friday for students. The store is now set up to allow for everyone to line up inside Tyee out of the rain where you can view some of the great merchandise and supplies the bookstore has available!
- Emergency Assistance Funds - Sometime emergencies happen that are outside of a student’s control or the best advance planning. NIC’s may be able to assist with financial support in the form of a bursary to help with emergencies. This funding does not need to be paid back and may be available to assist with books, transportation, childcare, supplies, groceries and other essentials. Contact a financial aid advisor to find out more. Book online here.
- NIC Student Technical Services are available on Monday-Thursday from 8 am to 6 pm, Friday from 8 am to 5 pm and Saturday from 9 am to 5 pm. Student Technical team has also scheduled virtual drop-in hours from Monday to Saturday for the month of January.To learn about the drop-in times and how to contact the team, please visit https://library.nic.bc.ca/studenttech.
- North Island Students' Union is back with Virtual Office Hours. This is an opportunity to ask questions, receive swag, and build connections. To access the link, download the NISU app. Would you like a Student Planner? Available by mail, connect with your Students’ Union at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
- Have a quick question? Email email@example.com and an advisor will get back to you asap. Be sure to leave your student number, email and phone number with your request.
- NIC Library & Learning Commons is open for students to pick up holds and laptops, book study rooms, use the computers, and print. Visit https://library.nic.bc.ca/AboutUs/Hours/ to find out what hours your library is open. Research and Writing supports are available online every day. Find out more at library.nic.bc.ca.
- Book a Peer Tutor through the Library & Learning Commons! Tutors are available for Nursing, Business, English, Math, Science, Digital Design, Psychology, Spanish & study skills. Book your Peer Tutor online now!
- Learn Anywhere. NIC’s Learn Anywhere website is geared to provide a collection of information that will help you to be a successful digital learner by covering topics such as: What is digital learning? and How can I use NIC-supported technologies during your studies? Students can also access a list of key skills and knowledge all students should have for successful learning in today’s world, knowing your rights and responsibilities and Technology Readiness Checklists.
GRATEFUL & THANKFUL
- Has an NIC instructor or staff member made a difference in your life as a student? Perhaps someone’s expertise, support or kindness has made all the difference to your success, or maybe just made you smile. If you would like to recognize the contribution of an instructor or staff member, fill out our recognition form. We will send the nominee a thank you on your behalf including your comment(s). Please note – you will remain anonymous.
STUDENTS OF NIC CAMPAIGN
- Do you or does a friend have a story worth sharing with others about their journey to North Island College? We would like to invite you to participate in our Students of NIC Campaign. Examples of previous students who have participated can be accessed here.
The purpose of this campaign is to share authentic stories of students and their journey to NIC in their own words. Normally, we would do this with an interview, which can be set up through BlueJeans. Another option would be for you to write your story out and send it to us via email. We would then share your story on NIC's Facebook and Instagram pages. If you have any questions or are interested in participating, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NIC Counsellingis available to all NIC students! You can find information on NIC's counselling services, along with links to community supports, including 24-hour crisis lines, on NIC's Counselling page.
- NIC Student Life Facebook, Instagram & Discord –Connect with us on social to share what you are up to and stay in the loop with upcoming events and information. Go to the NIC Facebook pageand click on 'Groups.' Share on social how you’re taking care of yourself and tag NIC on Facebook and Instagram (@nicstudentlife) or send us an email at email@example.com and we will share on your behalf. Student Life also has a Discord channel under the NISU server. #WeAreNICe #Thrive #NICatHome #NICStudentLife
“Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out”
– Robert Collier
If there is information you'd like to see included in upcoming communications, or would like to share, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enjoy your week and stay well!
Student Life Team
If you wish to respond or have any questions, please click here.