IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES
- Mon, Sept 6th: Labour Day – College Closed.
- Tues, Sept 7th: Orientation Day – No Scheduled Classes
- Tues, Sept 7th: First day of fall term. All fees must be paid in full and all pre-requisites met by 4 pm for Fall Term.
- Wed, Sept 8th: Fall classes begin.
- Mon, Sept 13th: Last day for waitlisted students to claim seats; remaining waitlists will be cleared at 4 pm.
- Thurs, Sept 16th: Last day to register, apply for refund, change from credit to audit.
- Thurs, Sept 30th: Last day to opt-out of NISU Health & Dental Benefits.
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
- Student Leadership Team. Looking for a way to get involved in the NIC community and develop leadership skills? Learn more about the NIC Student Leadership Team and an upcoming information session by emailing email@example.com.
- Campus Life Assistants. NIC’s Student Life team are looking to hire several students as Campus Life Assistants for the Port Alberni, and Port Hardy campuses. To learn more please visit the job posting on Career Central or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
UPCOMING IN THE COMMUNITY
- Fire Bans and Restrictions. The campfires, Category 2, and Category 3 open fires are banned throughout the province of British Columbia. This ban will remain in effect until noon on Oct. 15, 2021, or until the order is revoked. Learn more about current fire bans and restrictions here.
- COVID-19 Vaccination. The BC Government is encouraging all who are eligible to register for their COVID vaccine as soon as possible, this includes both domestic and international students. Visit the government website for information on eligibility and the registration process.
- COVID-19 Restrictions. You can view the latest public health orders here. Masks in public indoor settings are now mandatory – this includes NIC campus buildings.
SUPPORTS AND SERVICES UPDATE
- Library & Learning Commons Fall Hours. Comox Valley will be open from 8:00 am – 4:00 pm. Campbell River will be open from 8:00 am – 4:00 pm and is opening Sept 1st. Port Alberni will be open from 8:30 am – 4:30 pm and is opening Sept 1st. Mixalakwila is by appointment and you can schedule library/computer time by calling 250-949-7912 ext. 2860 or emailing email@example.com. Visit the Library & Learning Commons website for more information.
ONGOING SUPPORTS AND SERVICES
- NIC’s Career Central. The communities within and around our North Island College campuses offer an abundance of part-time, full-time, temporary, and permanent work opportunities through a diversity of employers and sectors. NIC’s CareerCentral is the place to find jobs specifically targeting NIC students and alumni, with new jobs being posted weekly, so be sure to keep CareerCentral on your radar as you explore employment.
- NIC Bookstore Update – Purchase your digital materials online! The NIC Bookstore is now offering electronic purchases for digital course materials. Visit the Bookstore page details.
- Emergency Assistance Funds - Sometimes emergencies happen that are outside of a student’s control or the best advance planning. NIC may be able to assist with financial support in the form of a bursary to help with emergencies. This funding does not need to be paid back and may be available to assist with books, transportation, childcare, supplies, groceries, and other essentials. Contact a financial aid advisor to find out more. Book online here.
- NIC Student Technical Services are available on Monday-Friday from 8 am to 5 pm to help you with any of your technology related questions. To book an appointment or to learn about the drop-in times visit the Student Technical Services website.
- North Island Students' Union is back with Virtual Office Hours. This is an opportunity to ask questions, receive swag, and build connections. To access the link, download the NISU app. Would you like a Student Planner? Available by mail, connect with your Students’ Union at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
- Have a quick question? Email email@example.com an advisor will get back to you asap. Be sure to leave your student number, email and phone number with your request.
- NIC Library & Learning Commons is open for students to pick up holds and laptops, book study rooms, use the computers, and print. Visit nic.bc.ca/AboutUs/Hours/ to find out what hours your library is open. Research and Writing supports are available online every day. Find out more at library.nic.bc.ca.
- Book a Peer Tutor through the Library & Learning Commons! Tutors are available for Nursing, Business, English, Math, Science, Digital Design, Psychology, Spanish & study skills. Book your Peer Tutor online now!
- Learn Anywhere. NIC’s Learn Anywhere website is geared to provide a collection of information that will help you to be a successful digital learner by covering topics such as: What is digital learning? and How can I use NIC-supported technologies during your studies? Students can also access a list of key skills and knowledge all students should have for successful learning in today’s world, knowing your rights and responsibilities and Technology Readiness Checklists.
- Student Cook Book. Find college-friendly recipes with tips and tricks to help you feel confident cooking and grocery shopping in this free digital Student Cook Book.
- NIC Student Life Facebook, Instagram & Discord –Connect with us on social to share what you are up to and stay in the loop with upcoming events and information. Go to the NIC Facebook page and click on 'Groups.' Share on social how you’re taking care of yourself and tag NIC on Facebook and Instagram (@nicstudentlife) or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will share on your behalf. Student Life also has a Discord channel under the NISU server. #WeAreNICe #Thrive #NICatHome #NICStudentLife
“Don’t wait until you reach your goal to be proud of yourself. Be proud of every step you take.”
– Karen Salmansohn
If there is information you'd like to see included in upcoming communications, or would like to share, please let us know at email@example.com.
Enjoy your week and stay well!
Student Life Team
If you wish to respond or have any questions, please click here.