IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES
- Fri, April. 2, 2021: College Closed – Good Friday
- Mon, April. 5, 2021: College Closed – Easter Monday
- Tues, April. 6, 2021: Last week of classes for Winter term
- Sat, April. 10, 2021 – Fri, April. 23, 2021: Winter final exams
- Tues, April. 27, 2021: NIC Foundation Awards Application Deadline
- Thurs, April. 29, 2021 – Fri, April. 30, 2021: International student orientation
- Friday, April. 30, 2021: Registration deadline for regalia order and graduation photos.
- Celebrate Holi with OGE and Win! The Office of Global Engagement will be holding a “Holi” Themed photo contest on their social media pages (Facebook & Instagram) starting Wednesday March 24th – Wednesday March 31st Show us what “Holi” means to you – whether it’s celebrating the arrival of Spring, traditional outfits, or you favorite Holi festival pictures from the past – feel free to get creative (and colourful)! Please continue to follow social distancing rules set out by the Provincial Health Officer while participating in activities. More information can be found online.
Photos can be submitted on social media via direct message, using the hashtag #iamNIC or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Contest is open to all current NIC students at all campuses. Winners will be drawn at random.
- Math Workshop. Join Math Support Faculty Brad Jones for a workshop at 4 pm on Monday, March 29: Getting to x - Solving Equations! Register here
- Summer Co-Op, Internship, & Job Opportunities. Are you looking for a co-op, internships, or job for this summer? Now is the time to apply! Check out job postings on CareerCentral and the events calendar to attend weekly job searching sessions. You can also book an appointment with an Employment Services Advisor and get some one-on-one assistance for your summer job search! For more info email email@example.com.
- NIC Graduation. NIC students from 2020/21 & 2019/20 academic years - it's time to celebrate with regalia & pictures to mark your academic milestone. For more information and details on grad photos, visit the graduation webpage.
IMPORTANT NOTE - In order to receive your credential, you must complete the Application for Credential form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
UPCOMING IN THE COMMUNITY
- Comox Valley Campus – Construction Notice. The Ministry of Transportation & Highways is preparing to install a signalized pedestrian-controlled crosswalk at the Ryan Road entrance of the Comox Valley campus. Please plan on utilizing the Lerwick Road entrance for all access to the college during this work for the upcoming weeks.
ONGOING SUPPORTS AND SERVICES
- NIC Bookstore Update – The Comox Valley & Campbell River bookstores are open from 10 am – 2 pm Monday through Friday for students. The store is now set up to allow for everyone to line up inside Tyee out of the rain where you can view some of the great merchandise and supplies the bookstore has available – including those cozy NIC hoodies!
- Emergency Assistance Funds - Sometime emergencies happen that are outside of a student’s control or the best advance planning. NIC’s may be able to assist with financial support in the form of a bursary to help with emergencies. This funding does not need to be paid back and may be available to assist with books, transportation, childcare, supplies, groceries and other essentials. Contact a financial aid advisor to find out more. Book online here.
Here are some animated tips on how to boost your “financial health”.
Watch Video #1 here.
Watch Video #2 here.
Watch Video #3 here.
Watch Video #4 here.
Watch Video #5 here.
Watch Video #6 here.
- NIC Student Technical Services are available on Monday-Thursday from 8 am to 6 pm, Friday from 8 am to 5 pm and Saturday from 9 am to 5 pm. Student Technical team has also scheduled virtual drop-in hours from Monday to Saturday for the month of January.To learn about the drop-in times and how to contact the team, please visit https://library.nic.bc.ca/studenttech.
- North Island Students' Union is back with Virtual Office Hours. This is an opportunity to ask questions, receive swag, and build connections. To access the link, download the NISU app. Would you like a Student Planner? Available by mail, connect with your Students’ Union at email@example.com to learn more.
- Have a quick question? Email firstname.lastname@example.org and an advisor will get back to you asap. Be sure to leave your student number, email and phone number with your request.
- NIC Library & Learning Commons is open for students to pick up holds and laptops, book study rooms, use the computers, and print. Visit library.nic.bc.ca/AboutUs/Hours/ to find out what hours your library is open. Research and Writing supports are available online every day. Find out more at library.nic.bc.ca.
- Book a Peer Tutor through the Library & Learning Commons! Tutors are available for Nursing, Business, English, Math, Science, Digital Design, Psychology, Spanish & study skills. Book your Peer Tutor online now!
- Learn Anywhere. NIC’s Learn Anywhere website is geared to provide a collection of information that will help you to be a successful digital learner by covering topics such as: What is digital learning? and How can I use NIC-supported technologies during your studies? Students can also access a list of key skills and knowledge all students should have for successful learning in today’s world, knowing your rights and responsibilities and Technology Readiness Checklists.
GRATEFUL & THANKFUL
- Has an NIC instructor or staff member made a difference in your life as a student? Perhaps someone’s expertise, support or kindness has made all the difference to your success, or maybe just made you smile. If you would like to recognize the contribution of an instructor or staff member, fill out our recognition form. We will send the nominee a thank you on your behalf including your comment(s). Please note – you will remain anonymous.
- Photos of Gratitude. Take some photos of people you are grateful for or look back at photos and as you do remember these moments and what you were/are grateful for. Share on your social media or send to your loved ones and enjoy the memory together while dreaming up what you will do when connected again!
STUDENTS OF NIC CAMPAIGN
- Do you or does a friend have a story worth sharing with others about their journey to North Island College? We would like to invite you to participate in our Students of NIC Campaign. Examples of previous students who have participated can be accessed here.
The purpose of this campaign is to share authentic stories of students and their journey to NIC in their own words. Normally, we would do this with an interview, which can be set up through BlueJeans. Another option would be for you to write your story out and send it to us via email. We would then share your story on NIC's Facebook and Instagram pages. If you have any questions or are interested in participating, please send us an email at email@example.com.
- NIC Counselling is available to all NIC students! You can find information on NIC's counselling services, along with links to community supports, including 24-hour crisis lines, on NIC's Counselling page.
- NIC Student Life Facebook Group & Instagram– join now to connect with us, share your views and stay updated on events and information on student life at NIC. Go to the NIC Facebook page and click on 'Groups.' Share on social how your’re taking care of yourself and tag NIC on Facebook and Instagram or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will share on your behalf. #WeAreNICe #Thrive #NICatHome
- Healthy Recipes. Now that the weather is warming up and the sun has been out – it’s a great time to eat a few meals outside.
“Let the colours of Holi spread the message of peace and happiness.”
If there is information you'd like to see included in upcoming communications, or would like to share, please let us know at email@example.com.
Enjoy your week and stay well!
Student Life Team
If you wish to respond or have any questions, please click here.