IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES
- Mon, Oct 11th: College Closed – Thanksgiving Day.
- Fri, Oct 15th: Fall exam schedule posted & last day to register for flexible distance courses.
- Fri, Oct 29th: Last day to withdraw without academic penalty.
- October Thrive Month. Through the month of October, we’ll be holding a series of events and highlighting supports and services available at NIC to support your success. A full list of events and activities can be found on the Thrive webpage.
- Student Readiness Survey. We would love to find out more about your experience leading up to the start of term and your first few weeks of fall classes so we can improve our services and orientation at NIC. Students who complete the anonymous survey will have the opportunity to enter for a chance to win a $100 NIC gift card or a pair of Skullcandy earbuds. Share your thoughts with the Student Readiness Survey by midnight on Oct. 11th.
- How Was Orientation? Student Life is looking for students who would be willing to participate in a 15-minute virtual chat to provide feedback on Fall 2021 Orientation. Participants will receive a $10 Tim Hortons Gift Card. To sign up, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Become a Peer Tutor. Are you a returning NIC Student? Would you like to support other students and learn new tutoring skills as a paid tutor? Check out the job posting and details on how to apply. Questions can be emailed to Caitlin Hartnett at email@example.com.
- Ch’nook 2021/2022 Scholars Program. The Ch’nook Scholars Program gives Indigenous post-secondary business students the tools and connections they need to succeed in their studies and careers, as well as a range of other benefits. It is open to status and non-status First Nation, Inuit, and Metis students studying full-time in a business program. Learn more here. The deadline is noon on Wed, Oct. 13th.
- Big Brothers & Big Sisters. The In-School Mentoring Program through Big Brothers & Sisters is seeking mentors for children & youth in elementary school. Mentors serve as role models, teach by example the importance of giving and giving back, of staying in school, and of having respect for family, peers, and community. To learn more about this volunteer opportunity, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
IN OUR COMMUNITIES
- COVID-19 Vaccination. The BC Government is encouraging all who are eligible to register for their COVID vaccine as soon as possible, including both domestic and international students. Visit the government website for information on vaccine eligibility and the registration process.
- COVID-19 Restrictions. You can view the latest public health orders here. Masks in public indoor settings are now mandatory – this includes NIC campus buildings.
NIC SUPPORTS & SERVICES UPDATES
New Library & Learning Commons hours! Starting Oct. 6th, the Comox Valley Library & Learning Commons is extending their hours to Monday to Thursday from 8:00 am – 8:00 pm and Fridays from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm.
Available Study Spaces. Some students may be scheduled for an in-person class followed directly by a digital class or vice versa. To support these students, NIC will provide drop-in spaces on each campus where they can access a computer or plug in their laptop to attend their digital class (please note that we encourage students to bring their own headsets, but we have some available to borrow through the Library & Learning Commons along with laptops if needed). Details on how to book a study room can be found here.
Student Technical Services Drop-In. Drop-In sessions are available to get help with Blackboard Learn or any technology-based questions Mon-Fri from 10:00 – 11:00 am and again from 3:00 – 4:00 pm. To learn more and to join drop-in sessions, visit the Student Technical Services calendar here.
- Supports Through Addiction. NIC’s Practical Nursing students have created a downloadable resource guide to support individuals experiencing substance/alcohol abuse, as well as those who may have a relationship with someone living with substance/alcohol addiction. Download the Resource Pamphlet.
“Whatever the struggle, continue to climb. It may be only one step to the summit.”
– Diane Westlake
If there is information you'd like to see included in upcoming communications, or would like to share, please let us know at email@example.com.
Enjoy your week and stay well!
Student Life Team
If you wish to respond or have any questions, please click here.