IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES
- Mon, Sept 13th: Last day for waitlisted students to claim seats; remaining waitlists will be cleared at 4 pm.
- Thurs, Sept 16th: Last day to register, apply for refund, change from credit to audit.
- Thurs, Sept 30th: Last day to opt-out of NISU Health & Dental Benefits.
- Thurs, Sept 30th: College Closed – National Truth & Reconciliation Day.
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
- Student Leadership Team. NIC’s Student Leadership Team supports and develops skills in emerging leaders in a fun, dynamic and engaging way. The student leaders explore many aspects of leadership, acknowledging that everything we do has impacts locally and globally. Student leaders take part in leadership workshops and retreats, network with community, help with college events and gain volunteer hours. Learn more about the NIC Student Leadership Team and an upcoming information session on Wed, Sept 22nd from 12:00 – 1:00 pm by emailing email@example.com.
- Campus Life Assistants. NIC’s Student Life team are looking to hire several students as Campus Life Assistants for the Port Alberni, and Port Hardy campuses. To learn more please visit the job posting on Career Central or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Seeking Students to be Peer Tutors. Are you a returning NIC Student? Would you like to support other students and learn new tutoring skills as a paid tutor? Check out the job positing and details on how to apply Questions can be emailed to Caitlin Hartnett at email@example.com
- Call for Nominations. Interested in running for a student position on the Board of Governors or Education Council? Student positions available include 2 on the Board of Governors and 4 on Education Council. The term of office for student representatives is one year. Students receive an honorarium of $100 per meeting for participating in monthly meetings of Education Council. Honoraria for service on the Board of Governors is $2,000 per year. More information can be found Nomination forms are available on myNIC in the announcement. Completed nomination forms may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 4:00 pm on Friday, September 17th.
- Available Study Spaces. Some students may be scheduled for an in-person class followed directly by a digital class or vice versa. To support these students, NIC will provide drop-in spaces on each campus where they can access a computer or plug-in their laptop to attend their digital class (please note that we encourage students to bring their own headsets, but we have some available to borrow through the Library & Learning Commons along with laptops if needed). Details on how to book can be found here.
- North Island-Powell River Student All Candidates Event. Join NISU virtually on Monday, Sept 13th at 7pm and hear from the local candidates for the 2021 Federal Election. Join event here.
- North Island-Powell River Student All Candidates Event. Join NISU virtually on Thursday, Sept 16th at 7pm and hear from the local candidates for the 2021 Federal Election. Join event here.
- Virtual Hiring Fair. Are you a business, adventure guiding or tourism and hospitality student looking to do a co-op or internship? Join us virtually on Friday, Sept 24 from 9:00-12:00pm for a Virtual Hiring Fair. Find out what opportunities are out there and how the world of work is changing in your field by speaking directly to the industry professionals themselves. Check out the events calendar in CareerCentral for more information on how to register as well as all the drop-in student support sessions available to help you with your next career goal. It is never too early to be thinking about opportunities after graduation and creating a network of contacts to help make a successful leap from the campus to the workplace! Plan to attend and get ready for 2022!
UPCOMING IN THE COMMUNITY
- BC Federal Election. The 2021 Canadian federal election will take place on September 20, 2021, to elect members of the House of Commons to the 44th Canadian Parliament. Learn how you can vote here.
- COVID-19 Vaccination. The BC Government is encouraging all who are eligible to register for their COVID vaccine as soon as possible, this includes both domestic and international students. Visit the government website for information on eligibility and the registration process.
- COVID-19 Restrictions. You can view the latest public health orders here. Masks in public indoor settings are now mandatory – this includes NIC campus buildings.
ONGOING NIC SUPPORTS AND SERVICES
- NIC’s Career Central. The communities within and around our North Island College campuses offer an abundance of part time, full time, temporary, and permanent work opportunities through a diversity of employers and sectors. NIC’s CareerCentral is the place to find jobs specifically targeting NIC students and alumni, with new jobs being posted weekly, so be sure to keep CareerCentral on your radar as you explore employment.
- NIC Bookstore Update – Purchase your digital materials online! The NIC Bookstores are now offering electronic purchases for digital course materials. Visit the Bookstore page for details on hours of operation for each campus to pick up your physical textbooks and materials.
- Emergency Assistance Funds - Sometime emergencies happen that are outside of a student’s control or the best advance planning. NIC may be able to assist with financial support in the form of a bursary to help with emergencies. This funding does not need to be paid back and may be available to assist with books, transportation, childcare, supplies, groceries, and other essentials. Contact a financial aid advisor to find out more. Book online here.
- NIC Student Technical Services are available on Monday-Friday from 8 am to 5 pm to help you with any of your technology related questions. To book an appointment or to learn about the drop-in times visit the Student Technical Services website.
- North Island Students' Union is back with Virtual Office Hours. This is an opportunity to ask questions, receive swag, and build connections. To access the link, download the NISU app. Would you like a Student Planner? Available by mail, connect with your Students’ Union at email@example.com to learn more.
- Have a quick question? Email firstname.lastname@example.org an advisor will get back to you asap. Be sure to leave your student number, email and phone number with your request.
- Learn Anywhere. NIC’s Learn Anywhere website is geared to provide a collection of information that will help you to be a successful digital learner by covering topics such as: What is digital learning? and How can I use NIC-supported technologies during your studies? Students can also access a list of key skills and knowledge all students should have for successful learning in today’s world, knowing your rights and responsibilities and Technology Readiness Checklists.
- Student Cook Book. Find college friendly recipes with tips and tricks to help you feel confident cooking and grocery shopping in this free digital Student Cook Book.
- NIC Student Life Facebook, Instagram & Discord –Connect with us on social to share what you are up to and stay in the loop with upcoming events and information. Go to the NIC Facebook page and click on 'Groups.' Share on social how you’re taking care of yourself and tag NIC on Facebook and Instagram (@nicstudentlife) or send us an email at email@example.com and we will share on your behalf. Student Life also has a Discord channel under the NISU server. #WeAreNICe #Thrive #NICatHome #NICStudentLife
“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”
– Nelson Mandela
If there is information you'd like to see included in upcoming communications, or would like to share, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enjoy your week and stay well!
Student Life Team
If you wish to respond or have any questions, please click here.