Skip to content

Apprenticeship Training

Advance Your Trade Skills

Gain skills to be in demand with NIC’s Industry Training Authority (ITA) approved apprenticeship training.

apprenticeship training image

NIC’s apprenticeship training combines paid, work-based training with technical, classroom training to prepare you for Interprovincial (Red Seal) designation as a carpenter, electrician, heavy duty and commercial transport mechanic, landscape horticulturist, plumber, professional cook (culinary arts) or welder.

quote
NIC's Professional Cook apprenticeship program gave me more respect, better wages, and a promotion to sous chef. Having the program here, on the North Island, made it affordable and possible to advance my career.
Kristy Appleyard, NIC Professional Cook graduate and Red Seal chef

Funding Available for Apprentices

There are many financial supports available from the federal and provincial governments to help apprentices pay for tuition, tools, equipment and living expenses while enrolled in technical training.

You may be eligible for up to $4,000 per period of technical training. Talk with a financial aid advisor at your nearest campus about options and funding sources. Learn more.

Start your Apprenticeship in High School

Did you know that you can jump start your trade career AND get credit toward your high school diploma? ITA offers several programs designed for young people interested in getting an apprenticeship. Best of all, your first year of post-secondary training is free, and you may be eligible for a $1,000 scholarship! Ask your high school counsellor about ACE-IT and other ITA Youth programs, or find out more by contacting an NIC student advisor today!

Is Your Trade not Listed?

More trades may be offered in future subject to sufficient demand. Please submit a request to express interest.


	Apprenticeship Training Pays Off in BC

Apprenticeship Training Pays Off in BC

A survey of over 2,800 former apprenticeship students in British Columbia demonstrates that the completion of trades apprenticeship training overwhelmingly leads students to well-paying jobs. Read more.

What is an Apprenticeship?

An apprenticeship is a combination of on-the-job training and classroom learning that leads to a trades credential, or ticket.

As an apprentice, you'll spend 80 per cent of your time learning on the job, earning a wage while you learn. Your employer, a skilled trades professional, becomes your guide to real-world learning. The remaining 20 per cent of your time is spent at NIC, where you'll learn technical skills from certified journeypersons in your field.

After four years, you become a BC-certified tradesperson, ready to write the Interprovincial (Red Seal) exam and work across Canada.

How to Start an Apprenticeship

There are several pathways to apprenticeship, including direct entry, foundation programs, and secondary school apprenticeship. For details, visit Steps to Apprenticeship.

Pre-apprenticeship Training

Don't have a sponsor yet? NIC's wide-range of foundation programs can help shorten the time it takes to complete your apprenticeship while you develop the technical skills apprenticeship employers are looking for.  Find out more, talk to an NIC student advisor or see our selection of ITA-approved foundation programs at www.nic.bc.ca/trades.