NIC is committed to fostering a culture of integrity, mutual respect, and responsible behaviours. When you become part of the NIC community, you can expect a welcoming, safe and inclusive environment. With that right – also come responsibilities – from being ready for learning, to conducting yourself in a respectful and considerate manner.
NIC has established policies and procedures to ensure that all members of the College community understand the rights and responsibilities of community membership. All members of the College community are responsible for familiarizing themselves with our policies and procedures
Find out more about your rights and responsibilities and how our NIC College community works together to ensure all of us – online or in-person – enjoy a welcoming and respectful learning and working environment.
Student Rights and Responsibilities
Student Rights and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Students have a right to pursue their education in an environment that is safe, secure and conducive to learning.
- Students are responsible for contributing to making the NIC community safe, respectful, and inclusive. Students must refrain from conduct that threatens or endangers the health, safety, well-being, or dignity of any person.
HONESTY and INTEGRITY:
- Student have a right to quality and fairness in instruction and the right to a due process and procedural fairness in any investigation of alleged misconduct.
- Students are responsible for making ethical decisions and maintaining academic integrity by submitting original work and ensuring that all academic submissions are credited appropriately.
POLICIES and PROCEDURES:
- Students have the right to reasonable access to statements of policies, procedures, and guidelines of the College and student organizations.
- Every student is responsible for abiding by all NIC policies.
FREEDOM of EXPRESSION:
- Students have the right to free inquiry, expression, belief, political association and assembly, provided they do not interfere with the rights of others, with the effective operation of the College or violate other College policies and procedures.
- Students are responsible for exercising their freedoms with honesty, integrity, and respect for the principles of justice, equality, and human rights.
- Students have the right to be informed of the content and requirements of their courses and programs.
- Students are responsible for their own actions whether acting individually or as a group.
- Students are responsible for their own learning.
- Students are responsible for resolving academic and personal problems by communicating with the appropriate NIC personnel.
- Students are responsible for reading emails directed to their NIC email account.
- Students have a right to a protection of privacy consistent with NIC policy and existing privacy legislation.
- Students are responsible for remembering that all images, postings, dialogues and information about themselves or others posted on the internet are public information.
EQUITY AND INCLUSION:
- Students have the right to be free from harassment, sexual harassment or violence, bullying or discrimination, indignity, injury or violence.
- Students are responsible for maintaining an environment that respects equity, diversity and inclusion and is free from discrimination and harassment.
* With thanks to Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU) for use and adaptation of content from the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions, comments or concerns.
Felicity Blaiklock, Director, Student Affairs