If there is information you'd like to see included in upcoming communications, or would like to share, please let us know at email@example.com.
Student Life @ Home
Statistics Canada is asking post-secondary students to complete a survey on the impacts of COVID-19. The survey is open until Friday (May 1).
A reminder that NIC's Office of Global Engagement has weekly challenges. Be sure to follow them on Facebook and Instagram.
Share how you are taking care of yourself at home. Share on social media and tag NIC on Facebook and Instagram.
Join NIC Counsellor Amy Rowes for an online session on Managing Anxiety on April 29 at 4:30pm. Join the live session by clicking here.
We are working on putting together some online games and engagement opportunities for students so stay tuned!
NIC counsellor, Janet Beggs has recorded a body scan meditation, as a self care activity for this week, called ‘Body Asleep, Mind Awake’. It aims to help our bodies relax while keeping our minds gently alert but free of worries adapted from a version of Eric Harrison’s ‘Teach Yourself to Meditate’. Click here to listen and practice this short (13 minute) guided meditation.
Healthy Eating - scroll down for another delicious (and cheap!) recipe. Send your own healthy and cheap recipes to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Supports and Services
The Federal Government has announced $9 billion in support for post-secondary students. The supports include income help, job creation, doubling of grants and more. We will be sharing more details as they becoming available.
If you need any support through this time, please reach out to us. You can find information on NIC's counselling services, along with links to community supports, including 24hr crisis lines, on NIC's Counselling page.
Student Employment Services has a session scheduled for international students related to study permits, visas and employment on April 30 at 1pm.
Check out the event calendar at CareerCentral for more details.
Enjoy your week and stay well,
Manager, Student Life
If you wish to respond or have any questions, please click here.
One Pan Mexican Chicken and Rice
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 1” pieces
- 2 cups brown or white rice, rinsed & drained
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes, low sodium
- 1 cup salsa (I used medium)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup Tex Mex, cheddar or marble cheese, shredded
- Cilantro, green onion, avocado, tomato, yogurt for toppings
- Preheat large non-stick skillet on medium heat and swirl 1 tbsp oil to coat.
- Add onion and garlic; saute for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Push veggies to the side, swirl remaining 2 tbsp oil and add rice, cumin, salt, pepper and saute for 3 minutes, stirring often (rice part only).
- Add chicken, diced tomatoes, salsa, water and stir.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and cook with brown rice for 20 minutes and with white rice for 10 minutes.
- Stir, cover and cook for another 20 minutes – brown rice and 5 minutes – white rice.
- Turn off heat, add cheese and cover until melted.
- Serve hot with desired toppings like cilantro, green onion, avocado, tomato, yogurt etc.
Store: Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
More at: Clean Eating Recipes