IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES
- Mon, July 5, 2021: First day of the 7-week summer term. Classes begin. All fees must be paid in full and all prerequisites met by 4 pm.
- Wed, July 7, 2021: Last day for waitlisted students to claim seats for the 7-week Summer term. The remaining waitlists will be cleared at 4 pm.
- Fri, July 9, 2021: Last day to register, apply for refund or change from credit to audit for the 7-week summer term.
- Mon, July 19, 2021: 7-week Summer term exam schedule posted
- Fri, July 30, 2021: Last day to withdraw without academic penalty for the 7-week summer term.
- Fall Orientation. While we are excited to be working towards returning to campus this fall, NIC has decided to keep with a virtual orientation this year. Virtual Orientation will launch on Aug. 3 so keep an eye out in your student email and the weekly newsletters for more information!
- NIC Graduation. Check out NIC’s Virtual Grad webpage to celebrate the outstanding students who have completed their programs this past year.
- How to Apply for a Full-Time Student Loan. Join us for a live, virtual information session to learn more about applying for financial aid. During these sessions, NIC Financial Aid Advisors will provide an overview of how to apply online for a full-time student loan through StudentAidBC.
Date: July 8, 2021
Time: 1:30 pm - 2:30 pm
Location: Online via BlueJeans
Register here for July 8th
Date: July 13, 2021
Time: 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Location: Online via BlueJeans
Register here for July 13th
UPCOMING IN THE COMMUNITY
- COVID-19 Vaccination. The BC Government is encouraging all who are eligible to register for their COVID vaccine as soon as possible, this includes both domestic and international students. Visit https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/register for information on eligibility and the registration process.
- CRAG Film Club. The Campbell River Art Gallery (CRAG) now offers a bi-weekly film club called CRAG Sunday Screenings. The screenings and Q&As will be entirely virtual, free to register, and not geo-blocked (so international students and faculty can access them). Registration also gives folks access to the watch page for the entire weekend and a recording of the post-screening Q&A in case they can’t attend from 6-8 PM on Sunday. For more information and to register please visit the CRAG website.
SUPPORTS AND SERVICES UPDATE
- Library & Learning Commons Summer Update.
- The Comox Valley Campus will remain open and staffed throughout the summer. NIC students will be able to access research, writing, math support and peer tutoring via BlueJeans, live chat, email, and phone.
- The Campbell River Library will be closed in July and August. During that time, the Library group study rooms will remain open and accessible from the main commons area.
- Port Alberni Library will be closed in July and August.
- Mixalakwila Campus Library will be closed in July and August. Students can call the campus to book computers.
If you have any questions, please visit the LLC website
- NIC Bookstores Summer Update. NIC campus bookstores are preparing to close for the summer on June 18, 2021. They will reopen Aug. 19, 2021. Students during this time can connect with the warehouse for their material needs by either calling 1-800-715-0914 ext. 4027 or emailing email@example.com.
ONGOING SUPPORTS AND SERVICES
- NIC Counselling. Counselling is available to all NIC students and appointments are offered via video or phone call. You can book your counselling appointment online here.
- NIC Bookstore Update – Purchase your digital materials online! The NIC Bookstore is now offering electronic purchases for digital course materials. Visit the Bookstore page for details. The campus stores are also open from 10 am – 2 pm Monday through Friday for students.
- Emergency Assistance Funds - Sometimes emergencies happen that are outside of a student’s control or the best advance planning. NIC may be able to assist with financial support in the form of a bursary to help with emergencies. This funding does not need to be paid back and may be available to assist with books, transportation, childcare, supplies, groceries and other essentials. Contact a financial aid advisor to find out more. Book online here.
- NIC Student Technical Services are available on Monday-Friday from 8 am to 5 pm to help you with any of your technology-related questions. To book an appointment or to learn about the drop-in times visit https://library.nic.bc.ca/studenttech
- North Island Students' Union is back with Virtual Office Hours. This is an opportunity to ask questions, receive swag, and build connections. To access the link, download the NISU app. Would you like a Student Planner? Available by mail, connect with your Students’ Union at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
- Have a quick question? Email email@example.com an advisor will get back to you asap. Be sure to leave your student number, email and phone number with your request.
- NIC Library & Learning Commons is open for students to pick up holds and laptops, book study rooms, use the computers, and print. Visit nic.bc.ca/AboutUs/Hours/ to find out what hours your library is open. Research and Writing supports are available online every day. Find out more at library.nic.bc.ca.
- Book a Peer Tutor through the Library & Learning Commons! Tutors are available for Nursing, Business, English, Math, Science, Digital Design, Psychology, Spanish & study skills. Book your Peer Tutor online now!
- Learn Anywhere. NIC’s Learn Anywhere website is geared to provide a collection of information that will help you to be a successful digital learner by covering topics such as: 'What is digital learning?' and 'How can I use NIC-supported technologies during my studies?' Students can also access a list of key skills and knowledge all students should have for successful learning in today’s world, knowing your rights and responsibilities and Technology Readiness Checklists.
GRATEFUL & THANKFUL
- Has an NIC instructor or staff member made a difference in your life as a student? Perhaps someone’s expertise, support or kindness has made all the difference to your success, or maybe just made you smile. If you would like to recognize the contribution of an instructor or staff member, fill out our recognition form. We will send the nominee a thank you on your behalf including your comment(s). Please note – you will remain anonymous.
STUDENTS OF NIC CAMPAIGN
- Do you or does a friend have a story worth sharing with others about their journey to North Island College? We would like to invite you to participate in our Students of NIC Campaign. Examples of previous students who have participated can be accessed here.
The purpose of this campaign is to share authentic stories of students and their journey to NIC in their own words. Normally, we would do this with an interview, which can be set up through BlueJeans. Another option would be for you to write your story out and send it to us via email. We would then share your story on NIC's Facebook and Instagram pages. If you have any questions or are interested in participating, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Student Cook Book. Find college-friendly recipes with tips and tricks to help you feel confident cooking and grocery shopping in this free digital Student Cook Book.
Fajita Style Quesadillas
1 tbsp. canola or olive oil
½ onion, cut into strips
½ red bell pepper, cut into strips
½ green bell pepper, cut into strips
4 oz. cheese
salsa, guacamole, cilantro, limes 1.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and peppers and cook, stirring for 4 minutes until vegetables are tender but still crisp and lightly browned. Remove vegetables from pan onto a plate and set aside.
- Lightly coat one side of a tortilla with cooking spray and place oiled side down in the skillet over medium heat. Add ¼ of the cheese and place a second tortilla sprayed with cooking spray on top.
- Cook quesadillas about 2 minutes on each side until cheese is melted and tortillas are lightly browned. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Slice and serve with desired toppings! Recipe adapted from therecipecritic.com.
- NIC Counselling is available to all NIC students! You can find information on NIC's counselling services, along with links to community supports, including 24-hour crisis lines, on NIC's Counselling page.
- NIC Student Life Facebook, Instagram & Discord – Connect with us on social to share what you are up to and stay in the loop with upcoming events and information. Go to the NIC Facebook page and click on 'Groups.' Share on social how you’re taking care of yourself and tag NIC on Facebook and Instagram (@nicstudentlife) or send us an email at email@example.com and we will share on your behalf. Student Life also has a Discord channel under the NISU server. #WeAreNICe #Thrive #NICatHome #NICStudentLife
“Make happiness a priority and be gentle with yourself in the process.”
– Bronnie Ware
If there is information you'd like to see included in upcoming communications, or would like to share, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enjoy your week and stay well!
Student Life Team
If you wish to respond or have any questions, please click here.