IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES
- Mon, June 14 – 18, 2021: Last week of classes for 7-week Spring term
- Mon, June 14, 2021: New students registration begins for Fall and Winter terms
- Tue, June 15, 2021: 14-week Spring term exam schedule posted
- Tue, June 15, 22021: Live timetabling session offered by NIC Advising team
- Mon, June 21, 2021: National Indigenous Peoples Day
- Mon, June 21 – 26, 2021: 7-week Spring term final exams
- Fri, June 25, 2021: Last day to withdraw without academic penalty for 14-week Spring term
- Wed, June 30 – Fri, July 2: Reading break: 14-week Spring term
- Want to know how to timetable your NIC courses and register online? NIC Advising is offering a live timetabling session on June 15, 2021 from 1-2pm. During this live video session, NIC advisors will provide an overview of how to access course scheduling tools through your myNIC, how to build your course timetable for the 2021/2022 academic year and how to register online (for courses starting in September). To register for the session and learn more visit: https://www.nic.bc.ca/about-us/nic-news/news/how-to-timetable-your-nic-courses-and-register-online-june-15/
- Summer Co-Op, Internship, & Job Opportunities. Are you looking for a co-op, internship, or job for this summer? Now is the time to apply! Check out job postings on CareerCentral and the events calendar to attend weekly job searching sessions. You can also book an appointment with an Employment Services Advisor and get some one-on-one assistance for your summer job search! For more info email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NIC Graduation. To receive your credential, you must complete the Application for Credentialform and email it to email@example.com. Not sure about your current progress towards graduation? Please discuss with an Educational Advisor or view your progress in Student Planning. To speak with an advisor, book an appointment here.
- Library & Learning Commons. NIC’s Library & Learning Commons offers various workshops each week to support your learning. This week you can check out APA & MLA Style Citations workshops! More information can be found
UPCOMING IN THE COMMUNITY
- Walk With Me - North Island Hospital (Comox Valley) Thu, June 17, 2021 from 9:30 AM – 11:00 AM PDT. Guided audio walk and sharing circle re: the overdose crisis - beginning and ending in the hospital backyard (picnic table area). Over the past year and a half, a group of artist-researchers, front-line workers, and people with lived and living experience have banded together in a spirit of solidarity, attempting to come to terms with the impact of the crisis on individuals and communities beginning in the Comox Valley, through a practice of story sharing. ***Please be prepared for a 45-minute walk outdoors, followed by a 45-minute outdoor sharing circle (ie: dress for the weather, and with appropriate shoes). Alternative options are available for those unable to walk***. Register and learn more about the event at: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/walk-with-me-north-island-hospital-comox-valley-tickets-153528362465
- Campbell River Pride Party 2021. June 19 at 2:30 pm - 4:30 pm The Tidemark Theatre and North Island Pride Society are excited to present three fabulous events as part of CR Virtual Pride Festival 2021!
- COVID-19 Vaccination. The BC Government is encouraging all who are eligible to register for their COVID vaccine as soon as possible, this includes both domestic and international students. Visit https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/register for information on eligibility and the registration process.
SUPPORTS AND SERVICES UPDATE
- Library & Learning Commons Summer Update.
- The Comox Valley Campus will remain open and staffed throughout the summer. NIC students will be able to access research, writing, math support and peer tutoring via BlueJeans, live chat, email, and phone.
- The Campbell River Library will be closed July & August. During that time, the Library group study rooms will remain open and accessible from the main commons area.
- Port Alberni Library will be closed July & August.
- Mixalakwila Campus Library will be closed July & August. Students can call the campus to book computers.
If you have any questions, please visit LLC website
- NIC Bookstores Summer Update. NIC campus bookstores are preparing to close for the summer on June 18, 2021. They will reopen August 19, 2021. Students during this time can connect with the warehouse for their material needs by either calling 1-800-715-0914 ext. 4027 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
ONGOING SUPPORTS AND SERVICES
- NIC Bookstore – Purchase your digital materials online! The NIC Bookstore is now offering electronic purchases for digital course materials. Visit the Bookstore page for details.
- Emergency Assistance Funds - Sometimes emergencies happen that are outside of a student’s control and in spite of the best advance planning. NIC may be able to assist with financial support in the form of a bursary to help with emergencies. This funding does not need to be paid back and may be available to assist with books, transportation, childcare, supplies, groceries, and other essentials. Contact a financial aid advisor to find out more. Book online here.
- NIC Student Technical Services are available on Monday-Friday from 8 am to 5 pm. Student Technical team is also available through scheduled virtual drop-in hours.To learn about the drop-in times and how to contact the team, please visit https://library.nic.bc.ca/studenttech.
- North Island Students' Union is back with Virtual Office Hours. This is an opportunity to ask questions, receive swag, and build connections. To access the link, download the NISU app. Would you like a Student Planner? Available by mail, connect with your Students’ Union at email@example.com to learn more.
- Have a quick question? Email firstname.lastname@example.org and an advisor will get back to you asap. Be sure to leave your student number, email, and phone number with your request.
- NIC Library & Learning Commons is open for students to pick up holds and laptops, book study rooms, use the computers, and print. Visit https://library.nic.bc.ca/AboutUs/Hours/ to find out what hours your library is open. Research and Writing supports are available online every day. Find out more at library.nic.bc.ca.
- Book a Peer Tutor through the Library & Learning Commons! Tutors are available for Nursing, Business, English, Math, Science, Digital Design, Psychology, Spanish & study skills. Book your Peer Tutor online now!
- Learn Anywhere. NIC’s Learn Anywhere website is geared to provide a collection of information that will help you to be a successful digital learner by covering topics such as: “What is digital learning?” and “How can I use NIC-supported technologies during your studies?” Students can also access a list of key skills and knowledge all students should have for successful learning in today’s world, including knowing your rights and responsibilities and Technology Readiness Checklists.
GRATEFUL & THANKFUL
- Has an NIC instructor or staff member made a difference in your life as a student? Perhaps someone’s expertise, support or kindness has made all the difference to your success, or maybe just made you smile. If you would like to recognize the contribution of an instructor or staff member, fill out our recognition form. We will send the nominee a thank you on your behalf including your comment(s). Please note – you will remain anonymous.
STUDENTS OF NIC CAMPAIGN
- Do you or does a friend have a story worth sharing with others about their journey to North Island College? We would like to invite you to participate in our Students of NIC Campaign. Examples of previous students who have participated can be accessed here.
The purpose of this campaign is to share authentic stories of students and their journey to NIC in their own words. Normally, we would do this with an interview, which can be set up through BlueJeans. Another option would be for you to write your story out and send it to us via email. We would then share your story on NIC's Facebook and Instagram pages. If you have any questions or are interested in participating, please send us an email at email@example.com.
- NIC Counselling is available to all NIC students! You can find information on NIC's counselling services, along with links to community supports, including 24-hour crisis lines, on NIC's Counselling page.
- NIC Student Life Facebook, Instagram & Discord –Connect with us on social to share what you are up to and stay in the loop with upcoming events and information. Go to the NIC Facebook page and click on 'Groups.' Share on social how you’re taking care of yourself and tag NIC on Facebook and Instagram (@nicstudentlife) or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will share on your behalf. Student Life also has a Discord channel under the NISU server. #WeAreNICe #Thrive #NICatHome #NICStudentLife
“You alone are enough. You have nothing to prove to anybody”
– Maya Angelou
If there is information you would like to see included in upcoming communications, or would like to share, please let us know at email@example.com.
Enjoy your week and stay well!
Student Life Team
If you wish to respond or have any questions, please click here.