IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES
- Mon, June 21 – 26, 2021: 7-week Spring term final exams
- Fri, June 25, 2021: Last day to withdraw without academic penalty for 14-week Spring intersession
- Wed, June 30 – Fri, July 2: 14-week Spring intersession
- Thurs, July 1, 2021: Canada Day – College Closed.
- Mon, July 5, 2021: First day of 7-week Summer term. Classes begin. All fees must be paid in full and all prerequisites met by 4 pm.
- Wed, July 7, 2021: Last day for waitlisted students to claim seats for the 7-week Summer term. Remaining waitlists will be cleared at 4 pm.
- Fri, July 9, 2021: Last day to register, apply for refund or change from credit to audit for 7-week Summer term.
- Mon, July 19, 2021: 7-week Summer term exam schedule posted
- Fri, July 30, 2021: Last day to withdraw without academic penalty for 7-week Summer term.
- Summer Co-Op, Internship, & Job Opportunities. Are you looking for a co-op, internships, or job for this summer? Now is the time to apply! Check out job postings on CareerCentral and the events calendar to attend weekly job searching sessions. You can also book an appointment with an Employment Services Advisor and get some one-on-one assistance for your summer job search! For more info email email@example.com.
- NIC Graduation. To receive your credential, you must complete the Application for Credential form and email it firstname.lastname@example.org. Not sure about your current progress towards graduation? Please discuss with an Educational Advisor or view your progress in Student Planning. To speak with an advisor, book an appointment here.
- Library & Learning Commons. NIC’s Library & Learning Commons offers various workshops each week to support your learning. This week you can check out APA & MLA Style Citations workshops! More information can be found
UPCOMING IN THE COMMUNITY
- COVID-19 Vaccination. The BC Government is encouraging all who are eligible to register for their COVID vaccine as soon as possible, this includes both domestic and international students. Visit https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/register for information on eligibility and the registration process.
- Learn About Native Plants & Their Uses. The Museum at Campbell River will be showcasing Native plants and their medicinal uses in its first in-person program since the beginning of the pandemic. On June 26 from 11 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. participants will be guided through presentations and hands-on exercises at the museum grounds. We Wai Kai Elder and NIC Elder in Residence Umagalis (June Johnson) will present on Traditional Medicines, particularly on Indigenous use of local plants and trees. The program is limited to 10 people. Registration is through the museum by calling 250-287-3103 or by registering in person. The program cost is $55 per person. All COVID-19 protocols will be in place and the program will take place outdoors. More information and a supply kit are both available at the Museum at Campbell River’s website.
SUPPORTS AND SERVICES UPDATE
- Library & Learning Commons Summer Update.
- The Comox Valley Campus will remain open and staffed throughout the summer. NIC students will be able to access research, writing, math support and peer tutoring via BlueJeans, live chat, email, and phone.
- The Campbell River Library will be closed July & August. During that time, the Library group study rooms will remain open and accessible from the main commons area.
- Port Alberni Library will be closed July & August.
- Mixalakwila Campus Library will be closed July & August. Students can call the campus to book computers.
If you have any questions, please visit LLC website
- NIC Bookstores Summer Update. NIC campus bookstores are preparing to close for the summer on June 18, 2021. They will reopen August 19, 2021. Students during this time can connect with the warehouse for their material needs by either calling 1-800-715-0914 ext. 4027 or emailing email@example.com.
ONGOING SUPPORTS AND SERVICES
- NIC Bookstore Update – Purchase your digital materials online! The NIC Bookstore is now offering electronic purchases for digital course materials. Visit the Bookstore page for details. The campus stores are also open from 10 am – 2 pm Monday through Friday for students.
- Emergency Assistance Funds - Sometime emergencies happen that are outside of a student’s control or the best advance planning. NIC’s may be able to assist with financial support in the form of a bursary to help with emergencies. This funding does not need to be paid back and may be available to assist with books, transportation, childcare, supplies, groceries and other essentials. Contact a financial aid advisor to find out more. Book online here.
- NIC Student Technical Services are available on Monday-Thursday from 8 am to 6 pm, Friday from 8 am to 5 pm and Saturday from 9 am to 5 pm. Student Technical team has also scheduled virtual drop-in hours from Monday to Saturday for the month of January.To learn about the drop-in times and how to contact the team, please visit https://library.nic.bc.ca/studenttech.
- North Island Students' Union is back with Virtual Office Hours. This is an opportunity to ask questions, receive swag, and build connections. To access the link, download the NISU app. Would you like a Student Planner? Available by mail, connect with your Students’ Union at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
- Have a quick question? Email email@example.com an advisor will get back to you asap. Be sure to leave your student number, email and phone number with your request.
- NIC Library & Learning Commons is open for students to pick up holds and laptops, book study rooms, use the computers, and print. Visit https://library.nic.bc.ca/AboutUs/Hours/ to find out what hours your library is open. Research and Writing supports are available online every day. Find out more at library.nic.bc.ca.
- Book a Peer Tutor through the Library & Learning Commons! Tutors are available for Nursing, Business, English, Math, Science, Digital Design, Psychology, Spanish & study skills. Book your Peer Tutor online now!
- Learn Anywhere. NIC’s Learn Anywhere website is geared to provide a collection of information that will help you to be a successful digital learner by covering topics such as: What is digital learning? and How can I use NIC-supported technologies during your studies? Students can also access a list of key skills and knowledge all students should have for successful learning in today’s world, knowing your rights and responsibilities and Technology Readiness Checklists.
GRATEFUL & THANKFUL
- Has an NIC instructor or staff member made a difference in your life as a student? Perhaps someone’s expertise, support or kindness has made all the difference to your success, or maybe just made you smile. If you would like to recognize the contribution of an instructor or staff member, fill out our recognition form. We will send the nominee a thank you on your behalf including your comment(s). Please note – you will remain anonymous.
STUDENTS OF NIC CAMPAIGN
- Do you or does a friend have a story worth sharing with others about their journey to North Island College? We would like to invite you to participate in our Students of NIC Campaign. Examples of previous students who have participated can be accessed here.
The purpose of this campaign is to share authentic stories of students and their journey to NIC in their own words. Normally, we would do this with an interview, which can be set up through BlueJeans. Another option would be for you to write your story out and send it to us via email. We would then share your story on NIC's Facebook and Instagram pages. If you have any questions or are interested in participating, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Student Cook Book. Find college friendly recipes with tips and tricks to help you feel confident cooking and grocery shopping in this free digital Student Cook Book.
As the weather warms up many of us crave something quick yet cool for breakfast. Smoothies can be easily customized and can be ready in a few min- – here is an easy recipe to follow. Just add all ingredients into a blender and drink up!
1 ½ cups liquid like water, milk, or juice (can add more or less depending on how smooth you want your smoothie to be)
1 ½ to 2 cups of your favorite fruits, fresh or frozen
½ cup Greek yogurt (plain or flavored)
Add ½ cup ice for more liquid and texture
Optional add ins:
½ c leafy greens
1 tsp chia seeds and/or flax seeds
Sweetener of your choice
1 scoop protein powder
1 tbsp. peanut or nut butter
- NIC Counselling is available to all NIC students! You can find information on NIC's counselling services, along with links to community supports, including 24-hour crisis lines, on NIC's Counselling page.
- NIC Student Life Facebook, Instagram & Discord –Connect with us on social to share what you are up to and stay in the loop with upcoming events and information. Go to the NIC Facebook page and click on 'Groups.' Share on social how you’re taking care of yourself and tag NIC on Facebook and Instagram (@nicstudentlife) or send us an email at email@example.com and we will share on your behalf. Student Life also has a Discord channel under the NISU server. #WeAreNICe #Thrive #NICatHome #NICStudentLife
“You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.”
– C.S. Lewis
If there is information you'd like to see included in upcoming communications, or would like to share, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enjoy your week and stay well!
Student Life Team
If you wish to respond or have any questions, please click here.