IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES
- Fri, April. 2, 2021: College Closed – Good Friday
- Mon, April. 5, 2021: College Closed – Easter Monday
- Tues, April. 6, 2021: Last week of classes for Winter term
- Sat, April. 10, 2021 – Fri, April. 23, 2021: Winter final exams
- Tues, April. 27, 2021: NIC Foundation Awards Application Deadline
- Thurs, April. 29, 2021 – Fri, April. 30, 2021: International student orientation
- Artist Talk: Sean Caulfield. The NIC Artist Talk Series invites contemporary Canadian artists to speak about their professional art practice and this week welcomes Sean Caulfield to share about his prints, drawings, installations and artist’s books on Wed, March. 17 at 1 pm. Register online athttps://nicart.tickit.ca/
- The Power of Choice. Student Life is thrilled to announce that on Thursday, March 18th from 2 – 3 pm NIC will be welcoming speaker Kwame Osei for a virtual presentation titled “The Power of Choice”. In this presentation, Kwame outlines how the decisions in his life no matter how substantial or minuscule they may have seemed be at the time ultimately played a role in determining his destiny. Kwame shares stories from his life to drive home this message. The decisions we make accumulate over time whether it means simply choosing to be positive in the face of adversity or embracing diversity and inclusion, the bottom line is we all have a choice. To register for this event email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Brave Spaces: Climate Change. As a continuation of the Brave Spaces sessions, this month we will be focusing on climate change with a discussion on the ongoing effects of long-term changes to our climate, including an exploration of global and local impacts. This virtual event will take place on Thurs, March 25. From 12 – 1 pm. Email email@example.com to register.
- NIC Graduation. NIC students from 2020/21 & 2019/20 academic years - it's time to celebrate with regalia & pictures to mark your academic milestone. For more information and details on grad photos, visit the graduation webpage.
IMPORTANT NOTE - In order to receive your credential, you must complete the Application for Credential form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Office of Global Engagement Focus Group. OGE is looking to connect with students to attend a series of webinars/focus groups to provide insight on challenges and barriers perceived in considering taking on a Study Abroad experience. There are going to be 5 sessions, one session per week, scheduled on Fridays at 11:000am for 1.5hours/session. For these sessions we are offering a $20 gift certificate to each participant attending the full session and filling out a very short survey at the end of each session. For students who commit to the entire webinar series, we will offer the opportunity to enter their name in a draw for a grand prize of $500. For more information visit: https://www.nic.bc.ca/life-at-nic/nic-news/news/learn-about-study-abroad-cnc/ or connect with Romana Pasca at email@example.com.
UPCOMING IN THE COMMUNITY
- Comox Valley Campus – Construction Notice. The Ministry of Transportation & Highways is preparing to install a signalized pedestrian-controlled crosswalk at the Ryan Road entrance of the Comox Valley campus. Please plan on utilizing the Lerwick Road entrance for all access to the college during this work for the upcoming weeks.
ONGOING SUPPORTS AND SERVICES
- NIC Bookstore Update – The Comox Valley & Campbell River bookstores are open from 10 am – 2 pm Monday through Friday for students. The store is now set up to allow for everyone to line up inside Tyee out of the rain where you can view some of the great merchandise and supplies the bookstore has available – including those cozy NIC hoodies!
- Emergency Assistance Funds - Sometime emergencies happen that are outside of a student’s control or the best advance planning. NIC’s may be able to assist with financial support in the form of a bursary to help with emergencies. This funding does not need to be paid back and may be available to assist with books, transportation, childcare, supplies, groceries and other essentials. Contact a financial aid advisor to find out more. Book online here.
Here is the first of a series of weekly animated tips on how to boost your “financial health”.
Watch Video #1 here.
Watch Video #2 here.
Watch Video #3 here.
Watch Video #4 here.
- NIC Student Technical Services are available on Monday-Thursday from 8 am to 6 pm, Friday from 8 am to 5 pm and Saturday from 9 am to 5 pm. Student Technical team has also scheduled virtual drop-in hours from Monday to Saturday for the month of January.To learn about the drop-in times and how to contact the team, please visit https://library.nic.bc.ca/studenttech.
- North Island Students' Union is back with Virtual Office Hours. This is an opportunity to ask questions, receive swag, and build connections. To access the link, download the NISU app. Would you like a Student Planner? Available by mail, connect with your Students’ Union at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
- Have a quick question? Email email@example.com an advisor will get back to you asap. Be sure to leave your student number, email and phone number with your request.
- NIC Library & Learning Commons is open for students to pick up holds and laptops, book study rooms, use the computers, and print. Visit nic.bc.ca/AboutUs/Hours/ to find out what hours your library is open. Research and Writing supports are available online every day. Find out more at library.nic.bc.ca.
- Book a Peer Tutor through the Library & Learning Commons! Tutors are available for Nursing, Business, English, Math, Science, Digital Design, Psychology, Spanish & study skills. Book your Peer Tutor online now!
- Learn Anywhere. NIC’s Learn Anywhere website is geared to provide a collection of information that will help you to be a successful digital learner by covering topics such as: What is digital learning? and How can I use NIC-supported technologies during your studies? Students can also access a list of key skills and knowledge all students should have for successful learning in today’s world, knowing your rights and responsibilities and Technology Readiness Checklists.
GRATEFUL & THANKFUL
- Has an NIC instructor or staff member made a difference in your life as a student? Perhaps someone’s expertise, support or kindness has made all the difference to your success, or maybe just made you smile. If you would like to recognize the contribution of an instructor or staff member, fill out our recognition form. We will send the nominee a thank you on your behalf including your comment(s). Please note – you will remain anonymous.
- Grateful Gabbing. As you get ready for bed, instead of focusing on your to do list allow yourself to spout off everything you can think of that you are grateful – say it out loud. Let your mind open up with this practice by stating to yourself how grateful you feel for things like your bed, sheets, soap, coffee, and your smile. Push yourself to name the big things, but also the little stuff as well.
STUDENTS OF NIC CAMPAIGN
- Do you or does a friend have a story worth sharing with others about their journey to North Island College? We would like to invite you to participate in our Students of NIC Campaign. Examples of previous students who have participated can be accessed here.
The purpose of this campaign is to share authentic stories of students and their journey to NIC in their own words. Normally, we would do this with an interview, which can be set up through BlueJeans. Another option would be for you to write your story out and send it to us via email. We would then share your story on NIC's Facebook and Instagram pages. If you have any questions or are interested in participating, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NIC Counsellingis available to all NIC students! You can find information on NIC's counselling services, along with links to community supports, including 24-hour crisis lines, on NIC's Counselling page.
- NIC Student Life Facebook Group & Instagram– join nowto connect with us, share your views and stay updated on events and information on student life at NIC. Go to the NIC Facebook page and click on 'Groups.' Share on social how you’re taking care of yourself and tag NIC on Facebook and Instagram or send us an email at email@example.com and we will share on your behalf. #WeAreNICe #Thrive #NICatHome
- Healthy Recipes. Check out this Nutrition Guide that NIC’s Library & Learning Commons has for students, faculty & staff! You can see all the available cookbooks that NIC’s Library has
“Luck is believing you’re lucky.”
– Tennessee Williams
If there is information you'd like to see included in upcoming communications, or would like to share, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enjoy your week and stay well!
Student Life Team
If you wish to respond or have any questions, please click here.