IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES
Tuesday, April 5 – Consent and Sexual Violence Training
Wednesday, April 6 – Spring Celebration – Comox Valley Campus
Thursday, April 7 – Spring Celebration – Port Alberni Campus
Saturday, April 9 – Friday, April 22 - Winter final exams
Wednesday, April 13 – Spring Celebration – Campbell River Campus
Thursday, April 14 – INTO 2022 – 11-11 Sessions welcomes Talent MATCH
Wednesday, April 27 – NIC Foundation Awards -Application Deadline
Friday, April 29 – Deadline to Register for Graduation Ceremony
- Consent and Sexual Violence: Tuesday, April 5 - Preventing & Responding to Sexual Violence Workshops. The Consent & Sexual Violence workshop is presented by NIC. This two-hour workshop is free for all NIC students. This training explores different understandings of consent, including the legal definition. Learners have the opportunity to develop skills related to asking for and giving consent in all relationships as well as discuss strategies for creating a “culture of consent” in campus communities. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, to register and receive the link.
- Spring Celebration! NIC Leadership Team and NISU are excited to invite students and employees to our SPRING Celebration! Spring is here and it is time to celebrate all the hard work and dedication of our NIC community members. Students and employees in Port Alberni, Comox Valley, and Campbell River are invited to join and celebrate! Please join us at:
- Comox Valley Campus (outside Tyee), April 6th, 11:30 am-1:30 pm
- Port Alberni Campus (Roger St cafeteria), April 7th, 11:30 am-1:00 pm
- Campbell River Campus (student commons), April 13th,11:30 am-1:30 pm
Also, share your favourite spring or celebration song for a chance to win prizes! Email your choice to email@example.com.
- INTO 2022 – 11-11 Sessions welcomes Talent MATCH - Sessions continue with a new employer-focused event with Debby Reis, project manager for Talent MATCH — an initiative aimed at connecting museums as well arts, tourism, culture, and hospitality organizations with students seeking work terms.
- Need Money for College? NIC Foundation Awards Application is open now. Speak with Jenni Osborne, NIC Foundation’s Awards Officer, to learn more about how one, easy, online application can represent thousands of dollars in financial support – and you don’t have to pay it back! Session to learn more on April 12th from 12-1:00 pm. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
- Graduation – Apply to Graduate. Click on the link for important details. Students must register to participate in the 2022 Graduation ceremonies by April 29, 2022.
- Join NIC’s Canadian Blood Services Donor Team: Did you know that every 60 seconds, someone in Canada needs blood? By becoming a blood donor, you could be helping a child being treated for cancer, a mother who has just given birth, or a brother about to have heart surgery. Every donation you make matters. It matters to every patient and their loved ones across Canada. NIC is proud to partner with Canada Blood Services. We invite you to join the NIC Team and donate at upcoming clinics.
You can find out if you are eligible to donate and join the NIC team by visiting www.blood.ca or downloading the Canada Blood Services app – NIC’s Team name is North Island College or NORT368728. Join now and book your appointment at an upcoming donation event!
- NIC Youth Academy is seeking enthusiastic individuals who enjoy working with youth! Join our team as a day camp leader, day camp assistant or program assistant for summer 2022. The positions available are anywhere from 1-14 weeks in length. All positions are 35 hours per week and pay between $18-25 per hour. The application period is open until all positions are filled. Contact email@example.com for more information about the available positions. Learn more about Youth Academy summer camps at nic.bc.ca/youth-academy.
- FREE Comox Valley Weekly Sports Night. Starting Feb.10 until Apr. 21 every Thursday, 6-7:15 pm (except on Mar. 24 and 31) at École Au coeur de l'île School Gym -566 Linshart Rd, Comox, NIC students have free access to weekly sports night in Comox Valley. The weekly sports are Indoor Soccer, Basketball, and Volleyball. Players enter through the school's main doors and proceed with a mask on to the gym at the end of the hallway. The coordinator will check for proof of vaccination at the gym entry doors each week. All players are asked to self-screen for COVID symptoms and stay home if there are any. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.
- Chance to win $100 Visa gift card for taking 10 mins to complete a survey and share some feedback on your NIC experience. Your feedback will provide NIC with helpful information about your learning experiences, what student supports help you, and how we can enhance your NIC experience. The survey is open until April 8th. Take the survey here: https://www.surveymonkey.ca/r/2022_Student_Learning_and_Support
- The Office of Global Engagement is hiring 2 International Peer Connectors to start in April 2022 continuous to December 2022! This position is an awesome opportunity to plan and participate in International Orientation, College Events, Community Activities – and to meet students from around the world! Please email email@example.com for inquiries.
NIC SUPPORTS & SERVICES
- Academic Supports at LLC. Reach your goals this semester with help from our outstanding academic supports—available both in-person and online!
- Research Support Learn to build effective search strategies, choose and evaluate resources, cite, and avoid plagiarism.
- Writing Support Work one-on-one with NIC faculty to develop your writing skills and receive feedback on your writing assignments.
- Math Support Spend time working on all levels of math problems with support from NIC math faculty.
- Peer Tutoring Discover new approaches to studying and writing, learning from highly trained NIC peer tutors.
- Student Technical Services Helping students understand and utilize technologies to support their studies.
- Register in a variety of workshops Improve your research, writing, math, and tech skills.
- NIC Counselling. Mental Health Counselling is available to all NIC students and appointments are offered via video or phone call. You can book your counselling appointment online here.
- Library & Learning Commons. Come visit the LLC this semester for a quiet place to work, to access academic supports, or to just sit back and take a break. At the LLC you can:
- Emergency Assistance Funds Sometimes emergencies happen that are outside of a student’s control or the best advance planning. NIC may be able to assist with financial support in the form of a bursary to help with emergencies. This funding does not need to be paid back and may be available to assist with books, transportation, childcare, supplies, groceries, and other essentials. Contact a financial aid advisor to find out more. Book online here.
IN OUR COMMUNITIES
- NIC Spring Soccer Team - Dust off your cleats and stretch your quads - the NIC Spring Soccer Team needs you!
We’ve registered a NIC team for the Comox Valley Sports and Social Club Spring outdoor soccer season. Games are on Thursday evenings (between 6-9 pm) at either Queeneesh Elementary, Highland Secondary, or Vanier starting April 14th and ending in June. Games are 6 v 6. * Deadline to join the team roster: Friday, March 25. If you are interested in playing or have any questions, please contact Danielle: Danielle.firstname.lastname@example.org
World Health Day – April 7
“Investing in yourself is the best investment you will ever make.” – Robert S. Sharma
If there is information you’d like to see included in upcoming communications, or would like to share, please let us know at email@example.com.
Wishing you good health and happiness,
Student Life Team
If you wish to respond or have any questions, please click here.