IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES
- Monday, Feb. 14 - Friday, Feb. 18 – Living Library
- Tuesday, Feb. 15 - Winter exam schedule posted
- Wednesday, Feb. 16 - Be Heard by NIC President Dr. Lisa Domae and The Leadership Team
- Monday, Feb. 21 - Family Day: College Closed
- Tuesday, Feb. 22 - Friday, Feb 25 - Winter Reading Break
- Living Library. Between Feb. 14-18, you can reserve a living book. Have you ever wondered what makes someone thrive or what hurdles they had to overcome to arrive at NIC? As part of Thrive Month, hear the untold stories of NIC students, staff, and faculty through 30-minute, one-on-one discussions. Discover how one person set up a school in a barge on a river in Thailand, uncover the mysteries of pursuing your PhD, travel down the Amalfi coast and more. Reserve your book today! Visit the living book catalogue.
- Be Heard by NIC President Dr. Lisa Domae and The Leadership Team. On Feb. 16, join NIC president, Dr. Lisa Domae and members of NIC’s Leadership Team from 12-1 pm online to discuss student well-being and support. How is your well-being being supported at NIC? What changes would you like to see to increase students’ mental health? What works for you and how can we support you better? Make your suggestions heard and offer feedback on your experience as a student to Dr. Lisa Domae and the Leadership Team. To register email, firstname.lastname@example.org. To learn more visit, https://www.nic.bc.ca/about-us/nic-news/news/thrive-month-be-heard-2901/.
- Brave Spaces Discussion: Ableism. Join Student Life and a team of panellists made up of NIC students, NIC employees and community members on Wed, March 9th from 12:00 – 1:30 pm PDT for a virtual Braves Spaces discussion on ableism to explore its impacts on individuals and communities. If you would like to be a student on the panel, or to register for the event, email email@example.com.
- FREE Comox Valley Weekly Sports Night. Starting Feb.10 until Apr. 14 every Thursday, 6-7:15 pm (except on Mar. 24 and 31) at École Au coeur de l'île School Gym -566 Linshart Rd, Comox, NIC students have free access to weekly sports night in Comox Valley. The weekly sports are Indoor Soccer, Basketball, and Volleyball. Players enter through the school's main doors and proceed with a mask on to the gym at the end of the hallway. The coordinator will check for proof of vaccination at the gym entry doors each week. All players are asked to self-screen for COVID symptoms and stay home if there are any. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.
- Student Leadership Team. NIC’s Student Leadership Team supports and develops skills in emerging leaders in a fun, dynamic and engaging way. The student leaders explore many aspects of leadership, acknowledging that everything we do has impacts locally and globally. Student leaders take part in leadership workshops and retreats, network with the community, help with college events and gain volunteer hours. Learn more about the NIC Student Leadership Team by emailing email@example.com.
NIC SUPPORTS & SERVICES
- Library & Learning Commons. Come visit the LLC this semester for a quiet place to work, to access academic supports, or to just sit back and take a break. At the LLC you can:
- Academic Supports at LLC. Reach your goals this semester with help from our outstanding academic supports—available both in-person and online!
- Research Support. Learn to build effective search strategies, choose and evaluate resources, cite and avoid plagiarism.
- Writing Support. Work one-on-one with NIC faculty to develop your writing skills and receive feedback on your writing assignments.
- Math Support. Spend time working on all levels of math problems with support from NIC math faculty.
- Peer Tutoring. Discover new approaches to studying and writing learning from highly trained NIC peer tutors.
- Student Technical Services. Helping students understand and utilize technologies to support their studies.
- Workshops. Register in a variety of workshops to improve your research, writing, math, and tech skills.
- Emergency Assistance Funds - Sometimes emergencies happen that are outside of a student’s control or the best planning. NIC may be able to assist with financial support in the form of a bursary to help with emergencies. This funding does not need to be paid back and may be available to assist with books, transportation, childcare, supplies, groceries, and other essentials. Contact a financial aid advisor to find out more. Book online here.
IN OUR COMMUNITIES
- COVID-19 Vaccination. The BC Government is encouraging all who are eligible to register for their COVID vaccine as soon as possible, this includes both domestic and international students. Visit the government website for information on eligibility and the registration process.
- COVID-19 Restrictions. You can view the latest public health orders here. Masks in public indoor settings are now mandatory – this includes NIC campus buildings.
Valentine’s Day Wellness Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7IIiEcPPnM
Thriving in Action Weekly Workbook. Each week of the academic year comes with its unique challenges. The Thriving in Action Weekly Workbook was designed to provide you with at least one exercise that has proven to be effective in increasing life satisfaction, happiness, and resilience. Download the Student Weekly Workbook here.
“Talk to yourself like you would to someone you love.” – Brene Brown
If there is information you'd like to see included in upcoming communications, or would like to share, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wishing you a week full of success!
Student Life Team
If you wish to respond or have any questions, please click here.