IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES
- Tuesday, Feb. 22 to Friday, Feb 25 — Winter Reading Break*
- Wednesday, Feb. 23 – Pink Shirt Day
- Wednesday, Feb. 23 – Women in Trades event
- Tuesday, March 1 - Supporting Survivors Training
- Thursday, March 3 – INTO 2022 - Work-Integrated Learning Hiring Fair
- Tuesday, March 8 - International Women's Day
- Wednesday, March 9 – Brave Spaces Discussion
- Women in Trades – This is an open event for women in the skilled trades (apprentices, journey-people, and faculty) to gather for the purpose of sharing ideas, experiences, success stories, and struggles with being in the skilled trades. We will be hosting a few women Trades faculty to share their stories and ideas on how we can encourage and promote more women to enter and more importantly complete their training and education in the skilled trades.
- Supporting Survivors of Sexual Violence: Preventing & Responding to Sexual Violence Workshops
The Supporting Survivors of Sexual Violence Workshop is presented by Selkirk College on Mar. 1, 1-3pm . This two-hour workshop is free for all NIC students. This training helps learners respond supportively and effectively to disclosures of sexual violence. It includes a discussion of available supports and resources, the differences between disclosing and reporting and opportunities to practice skills for responding to disclosures, using the Listen, Believe, Support model. Registration closes on Feb 27, 2022 at 4 pm. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register and receive the link.
- The WIL Hiring Fair will help connect talented NIC students with opportunities for work-integrated learning experiences in 2022 such as co-ops, internships, apprenticeships, applied research, community service projects and work experiences. The event is free to attend, but students must register.
- Brave Spaces Discussion: Ableism - Join Student Life and a team of panellists made up of NIC students, NIC employees and community members on Wednesday, March 9 from 12-1:30 pm PDT for a virtual Braves Spaces discussion on ableism to explore its impacts on individuals and communities. If you would like to be a student on the panel, or to register for the event, email email@example.com. Please note that panellists will also attend a virtual prep meeting on Wednesday, March 2 from 12-1 pm.
- CARE 2 Plan -NIC's CARE² Plan: Student Mental Health and Well-being at NIC is now open to feedback until March 14. The CARE² Plan proposes a framework, recommendations and action plan to promote a healthy campus culture and to support those who experience mental health challenges. Once finalized, the CARE² Plan will provide a framework to guide conversations and formalize our individual and collective commitment to the mental health and well-being of NIC students. Your feedback is invaluable. Please visit the CARE² Plan engage site: https://www.engage.nic.bc.ca/care plan to read the draft plan, ask questions and submit your ideas.
- ARTIST TALKS ONLINE 2022 North Island College Fine Arts invites you to join us for an online lecture series featuring distinguished artists speaking about their art practice. The talks are Thursday evenings 6-7:30 pm (PST). The events are free and everyone is welcome. Register online at tickit.ca.
- FREE Comox Valley Weekly Sports Night. Starting Feb.10 until April 14 every Thursday, 6-7:15 pm (except on Mar. 24 and 31) at École Au coeur de l'île School Gym - 566 Linshart Rd., Comox, NIC students have free access to weekly sports night in Comox Valley. The weekly sports are Indoor Soccer, Basketball, and Volleyball. Players enter through the school's main doors and proceed with a mask on to the gym at the end of the hallway. The coordinator will check for proof of vaccination at the gym entry doors each week. All players are asked to self-screen for COVID symptoms and stay home if they are sick. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.
- Student Leadership Team. NIC’s Student Leadership Team supports and develops skills in emerging leaders in a fun, dynamic and engaging way. The student leaders explore many aspects of leadership, acknowledging that everything we do has impacts locally and globally. Student leaders take part in leadership workshops and retreats, network with the community, help with college events and gain volunteer hours. Learn more about the NIC Student Leadership Team by emailing email@example.com.
NIC SUPPORTS & SERVICES
- Library & Learning Commons. Come visit the LLC this semester for a quiet place to work, to access academic supports, or to just sit back and take a break. At the LLC you can:
- Academic Supports at LLC. Reach your goals this semester with help from our outstanding academic supports—available both in person and online!
- Research Support. Learn to build effective search strategies, choose and evaluate resources, cite and avoid plagiarism.
- Writing Support. Work one-on-one with NIC faculty to develop your writing skills and receive feedback on your writing assignments.
- Math Support. Spend time working on all levels of math problems with support from NIC math faculty.
- Peer Tutoring. Discover new approaches to studying and writing learning from highly trained NIC peer tutors.
- Student Technical Services. Helping students understand and utilize technologies to support their studies.
- Workshops. Register in a variety of workshops to improve your research, writing, math, and tech skills.
- Emergency Assistance Funds - Sometimes emergencies happen that are outside of a student’s control or the best advance planning. NIC may be able to assist with financial support in the form of a bursary to help with emergencies. This funding does not need to be paid back and may be available to assist with books, transportation, childcare, supplies, groceries, and other essentials. Contact a financial aid advisor to find out more. Book online here.
IN OUR COMMUNITIES
- COVID-19 Vaccination. The BC Government is encouraging all who are eligible to register for their COVID vaccine as soon as possible, this includes both domestic and international students. Visit the government website for information on eligibility and the registration process.
- COVID-19 Restrictions. You can view the latest public health orders here. Masks in public indoor settings are now mandatory – this includes NIC campus buildings.
- Thriving in Action Weekly Workbook. Each week of the academic year comes with its own unique challenges. The Thriving in Action Weekly Workbook was designed to provide you with at least one exercise that has proven to be effective in increasing life satisfaction, happiness, and resilience. Download the Student Weekly Workbook here.
“Believe in yourself and all that you are. Know that there is something inside you that is greater than any obstacle.”
- Christian D. Larson
If there is information you'd like to see included in upcoming communications, or would like to share, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wishing you a week full of sunshine!
- Student Life Team
If you wish to respond or have any questions, please click here.