Wednesday August 3 — IWC Networking Event at the Campbell River Art Gallery
Monday, August 8 — Indigenous Mental Health Fine Arts bursary deadline
EVENTS & INITIATIVES
Q: What events are going on in your community?
A: There are many events happening in our region this summer; here is a great resource for finding out what’s on near you: whatsondigest.com
Free Networking Event
You’re invited to the Immigrant Welcome Centre’s first-ever free networking event: Welcoming Communities Connector. This is an opportunity for new and longtime members of the community to connect and talk about how we can make our communities more welcoming and inclusive for immigrants and refugees.
- When: August 3, from 5 to 7 pm
- Where: Campbell River Art Gallery (1235 Shoppers Row)
- Free! Registration required as space is limited.
- Appetizers and prize draws!
- Opportunity to view the gallery’s latest exhibit, The Chorus is Speaking: Experiencing Identities of Blackness in Canada.
RSVP at iwcconnector.eventbrite.com
Indigenous Mental Health Fine Arts Bursary (FAB) deadline extended to August 8, 2022
A $1000 bursary is available through the Canadian Mental Health Association to BC post-secondary indigenous students who live with mental illness or addiction.
- Here’s the link to apply for the Indigenous FAB.
- The evaluation criteria for this award can be found here.
- Here’s the link to all the CMHA Scholarships and Bursaries webpage.
2022 Fall Orientation – Save the Dates!
The Student Life Team is excited to share that we will have our first in-person student orientation in 2 years this fall! We’ll have a marketplace, food, giveaways and helpful people to answer your questions. Mark these dates on your calendar:
Comox Valley & Campbell River campuses: Tuesday, Sept. 6 & Wednesday, Sept. 7, 11 am – 1 pm
Port Alberni campus: Tuesday, Sept. 6 & Tuesday, Sept 13 (Roger St.) 11 am – 1 pm
Wednesday, Sept. 7 (Tebo Ave.) 11 am – 1 pm
Mixalakwila campus: dates to be confirmed
Campus Life Assistants
Would you like to work with Student Life to develop projects, plan events or create posts for social media? Do you want to gain valuable experience that you can add to your resume? NIC Student Life is looking to hire Campus Life Assistants. Email us at email@example.com to find out more.
🌟 MEAL IDEAS 🌟
Spicy Noodle Recipe
This vegetarian dish takes only a few minutes to make and is a thrifty alternative to take-out food.
· 1 x 4 oz. pkg dry noodles (lo mein, or rice noodles)
· 2 Tablespoons butter or oil
· 1/4 teaspoon chili (flakes or powder)
· 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
· 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
· 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
· 2 large eggs (lightly whisked)
· 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro (chopped)
· 1 green onion (chopped)
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, add the noodles and boil until tender but firm. Drain in a colander.
- To prepare the noodle sauce, in a small bowl, stir together the chili powder, soy sauce, brown sugar and hot sauce, and set aside.
- Heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat, then add the eggs and chili flakes and lightly scramble.
- Add the drained noodles to the skillet with the eggs, then drizzle the sauce over top. Toss the noodles and eggs to coat in the sauce.
- Top the noodles with fresh cilantro and sliced green onion, then serve.
To make vegan - use rice noodles, oil instead of butter and tofu instead of eggs. To make gluten-free - use gluten-free soy sauce and add extra protein with chicken. Enjoy!
NIC SUPPORTS & SERVICES
Contact NIC’s Early Assist for personal or academic campus and community supports.
- Support services include: emergency financial aid, indigenous supports, counselling, accommodation for disability and much more.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org to reach out.
- If there is an emergency or it is outside regular office hours, call 911 or the Vancouver Island Crisis Line at 1-888-494-3888. You can also visit Here2Talk.
- The NIC Library and Learning Commons at the Campbell River and Port Alberni campuses will close on Thursday, June 30 and re-open on August 28. The Comox Valley Library and Learning Commons will stay open for the summer, Mondays to Fridays from 8 am to 4 pm. Academic supports are available in person at CV or book online. Visit the LLC website for more information.
GRATEFUL & THANKFUL
Has an NIC instructor or staff member made a difference in your life as a student? If you would like to recognize someone’s expertise, support or kindness that contributed to your success, please fill out our recognition form. We will send the nominee an anonymous thank you on your behalf including your comment(s). We have received some wonderful messages, which is proof that kindness counts.
Please stay in touch with us over the summer at email@example.com or our NIC Student Life Facebook or Instagram page. We want to hear from you!
Lela Kulesh and Your Student Life Team