Thursday, June 30 – Campbell River & Port Alberni Libraries close
Friday, July 1 – Canada Day – Stat – all campuses closed, local Canada Day celebrations
Monday, July 4 – First Day of Summer Intersessional classes
Sunday, July 17 – Deadline to apply for CMHA scholarships/bursaries
EVENTS & INITIATIVES
- The NIC Library and Learning Commons at the Campbell River and Port Alberni campuses will close on Thursday, June 30 and re-open on August 28.
The Comox Valley LLC will stay open for the summer; Monday to Friday, 8 am to 4 pm. Academic supports will be available in person at the Comox Valley location or online. Visit the Library & Learning Commons website for more information.
- The Canadian Mental Health Association of BChas scholarships and bursaries available.
The application period for the CMHA BC scholarships and bursaries program is now open! There is a wide range of awards available for post-secondary students with lived experience of mental health or substance use concerns living in British Columbia. More information can also be found at cmha.bc.ca/bursary.
Students are encouraged to apply! Please direct any questions to email@example.com.
- Free events in your communities
There are plenty of free events so we’ve chosen a couple that promote healthy eating and the healing effect of enjoying music and entertainment while outdoors.
Comox Valley: Comox Valley Farmers’ Market: https://cvfm.ca/
- Markets in Courtenay and Cumberland Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays.
Campbell River: Spirit Square: http://www.spiritsquare.ca/spirit-square-events-calendar
- Free music on Tuesdays and Thursdays, Farmers Market on Sundays as well as a parade, cake and fireworks on Canada day.
Port Alberni: Alberni Valley Tourism: https://albernivalleytourism.com/port-alberni-farmers-markets/
- Fun local events including a Farmers Market every Saturday and a Car Show.
Port Hardy (Mixalakwila): https://www.visitporthardy.com/discover-explore-port-hardy/festivals-events/
- National Indigenous History Month
Did you know that a Vancouver Island Haida artist created this image to use as a Twitter hashtag or emoji in honour of National Indigenous History Month and Indigenous Peoples Day? (Image courtesy of Jaalen Edenshaw). Click here to read the full article.
- Pride Month
The GSRA club partnered with NISU and Student Life to create these beautiful benches at the Comox Valley campus. Send us pics of you enjoying these newly painted benches and you could win a prize!
- 2022 Fall Orientation – save the dates!
We are busy planning the details for this September’s NIC Student Orientation and we want you to be a part of it! Mark your calendar for these dates, with more details to come in future publications:
CV & CR: Tuesday, September 6 & 7, PA: Tuesday, September 13, MX: TBA
- Campus Life Assistants
Would you like to work at NIC helping with projects, social media and events while gaining valuable experience to add to your resume? NIC Student Life is looking to hire. Please send us an email to find out more and to apply at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Peer Mentor Volunteers Needed
The Office of Global Engagement is looking for NIC students to help welcome our new international students to the NIC community. To find out more contact: email@example.com
NIC SUPPORTS & SERVICES
Contact NIC’s Early Assist for personal or academic campus and community supports.
Support services include emergency financial aid, indigenous supports, counselling, accommodation for disability and much more.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org to reach out.
- If there is an emergency or it is outside regular office hours, call 911 or the Vancouver Island Crisis Line at 1-888-494-3888. You can also visit Here2Talk.
GRATEFUL & THANKFUL
Has an NIC instructor or staff member made a difference in your life as a student? If you would like to recognize someone’s expertise, support, or kindness that contributed to your success, please fill out our recognition form. We will send the nominee an anonymous thank you on your behalf including your comment(s).
Please stay in touch over the summer at: email@example.com or our NIC Student Life Facebook or Instagram page. We want to hear from you!
Lela Kulesh and Your Student Life Team