IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES
Wednesday, March 16 – Truth and Reconciliation Dialogue: Decolonization
Wednesday, March 16 – Executive Functioning 101
Thursday, March 17 – INTO 2022 – 11-11 Sessions – Comox Valley School District
Thursday, March 17 – Artist Talk: Laura Payne
Friday, March 18 – Gold Medal Banquet
Tuesday, April 5 – Supporting Survivors Training
- Truth and Reconciliation Dialogue: Decolonization - Our goal is to create spaces for a constructive conversation centered around Reconciliation and Reconcili-Action. Join us in this opportunity to gather, join in the dialogue, and listen to the perspectives of others in a culturally inclusive space. Joining our dialogues will support our collective and/or individual commitment to action items identified during each gathering. Dialogue 3 – Decolonization: Wednesday, March 16, 10-11:30 am.
- Executive Functioning 101 – Executive function and self-regulation skills enable us to do many things: make plans, focus attention, remember instructions, manage our emotions and juggle multiple tasks at the same time. The development of these skills is a crucial part of learning and essential in helping us make good choices for ourselves and our families. *The registration deadline is Tuesday, March 15.
- INTO 2022 – NIC Work Integrated Learning continues the 11-11 Sessions with Chelsea Bauer and Chettie Macdonald from the Comox Valley School District (SD71)
- Artist Talk: Laura Payne - NIC's 2022 virtual Artist Talks series welcomes Laura Payne, 2017 finalist of the RBC Canadian Painting Competition and the recipient of the 2018 Saskatchewan Foundations for the Arts Award.
- Gold Medal Banquet - You’re invited for a world-class meal and wine pairing at NIC’s Campbell River campus. Chefs from Culinary Team BC are teaming up with the North Vancouver Island Culinary Association and the Culinary Federation for this special event.
- Consent and Sexual Violence: Preventing & Responding to Sexual Violence Workshops. The Consent & Sexual Violence workshop is presented by NIC. This two-hour workshop is free for all NIC students. This training explores different understandings of consent, including the legal definition. Learners have the opportunity to develop skills related to asking for and giving consent in all relationships as well as discuss strategies for creating a “culture of consent” in campus communities. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, to register and receive the link.
- FREE Comox Valley Weekly Sports Night. Starting Feb.10 until Apr. 14 every Thursday, 6-7:15 pm (except on Mar. 24 and 31) at École Au coeur de l'île School Gym -566 Linshart Rd, Comox, NIC students have free access to weekly sports night in Comox Valley. The weekly sports are Indoor Soccer, Basketball, and Volleyball. Players enter through the school's main doors and proceed with a mask on to the gym at the end of the hallway. The coordinator will check for proof of vaccination at the gym entry doors each week. All players are asked to self-screen for COVID symptoms and stay home if there are any. Email email@example.com for any questions. *Weekly Sports Night Update: April 21 is the make-up date for the missed sports night on March 10th. All other dates/information remains the same.
NIC SUPPORTS & SERVICES
- Library & Learning Commons. Come visit the LLC this semester for a quiet place to work, to access academic supports, or to just sit back and take a break. At the LLC you can:
- Academic Supports at LLC. Reach your goals this semester with help from our outstanding academic supports—available both in-person and online!
- Research Support Learn to build effective search strategies, choose and evaluate resources, cite, and avoid plagiarism.
- Writing Support Work one-on-one with NIC faculty to develop your writing skills and receive feedback on your writing assignments.
- Math Support Spend time working on all levels of math problems with support from NIC math faculty.
- Peer Tutoring Discover new approaches to studying and writing, learning from highly trained NIC peer tutors.
- Student Technical Services Helping students understand and utilize technologies to support their studies.
- Register in a variety of workshops Improve your research, writing, math, and tech skills.
- Emergency Assistance Funds - Sometimes emergencies happen that are outside of a student’s control or the best advance planning. NIC may be able to assist with financial support in the form of a bursary to help with emergencies. This funding does not need to be paid back and may be available to assist with books, transportation, childcare, supplies, groceries, and other essentials. Contact a financial aid advisor to find out more. Book online here.
IN OUR COMMUNITIES
If there is information you'd like to see included in upcoming communications, or would like to share, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enjoy your week and stay well.
Student Life Team
If you wish to respond or have any questions, please click here.