IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES
- Friday, Oct. 29: Last day to withdraw without academic penalty
- Wednesday, Nov. 10 – Friday, Nov. 12: Fall Reading Break
- Thursday, Nov. 11: Remembrance Day – College closed
- Monday, Nov. 19 – Friday, Dec. 3: Last week of classes
- October Thrive Month. Throughout October, we’ll be holding a series of events and highlighting supports and services available at NIC to support your success. To register, email email@example.com.
- Overcoming Procrastination – Monday, Oct. 25/ 12-1 pm / Virtual Workshop
- Treat Tuesday – Tuesday, Oct. 26 / All Day / Treats and bookmarks handed out each Tuesday!
- Agree to Disagree – Tuesday, Oct. 26 / 1-2:30 pm / Virtual Workshop
- Brave Spaces Discussion: Unconscious Bias. Join Student Life and a team of panelists made up of NIC students, NIC employees and community members on Wednesday, Nov. 17 from 12-1:30 pm PDT for a Braves Spaces discussion on unconscious bias to explore its impacts on individuals and communities and discover ways to become more aware of and tackle our own unconscious biases. If you would like to be a student on the panel or to register for the event, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Library & Learning Commons Workshop. There is a Writing Workshop: Clear & Concise Sentences on Tuesday, Oct. 26 at 7 pm and you can register here.
- BC Youth Parliament. The British Columbia Youth Parliament (BCYP) provides a forum for young people to develop skills in leadership, organization, public speaking, and the parliamentary process, and to put these skills into practice through service to youth in their local communities. Typically, the BC Youth Parliament has appealed to youth with specific interests in public policy or government and with interest in creating meaningful impact in their community. The application deadline is Tues, Oct 26. The application form can be downloaded here. Please visit bcyp.org to learn more about the program!
IN OUR COMMUNITIES
- Celebrating Halloween Respectfully & Safely. Halloween is quickly approaching on Oct. 31 and we just wanted to remind everyone that Halloween is about fun. Please think before you dress up and be respectful with your costume choices. Do not mimic cultural, racial or ethnic groups or that could cause people to feel threatened about their safety and be mindful of NIC Policy #3-06 Community Code of Conduct. If you have questions about your costume choice feel free to email us at email@example.com.
- COVID-19 Vaccination. The BC Government is encouraging all who are eligible to register for their COVID vaccine as soon as possible, this includes both domestic and international students. Visit the government website for information on eligibility and the registration process.
- COVID-19 Restrictions. You can view the latest public health orders here. Masks in public indoor settings are now mandatory – this includes NIC campus buildings.
- StrongerBC Youth Leaders Council. Are you a young person aged 14 to 26 who cares about making life better in BC? Apply for the StrongerBC Young Leaders Council. You can help shape government policies and impact communities throughout BC. Apply online today: bc.ca/YoungLeadersCouncil We have provided a link to a video of Special Advisor Brittny Anderson introducing the Young Leaders Council and inviting interested persons to apply: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdtDhWnctM0.
- Comox Sports Nights. NIC Students have access to FREE Sport Drop-In nights at Ecole au Coeur-de-l'Ile at 566 Linshart Rd. in Comox. See below for more details:
Dates: Fall session is 8 nights, including Oct. 6, 13, 20, 27, Nov. 3, 10, 17, 24 and Dec. 1. (Nothing on Nov. 11 for Remembrance Day). Then winter session starts in January.
Times: 6:00-7:15 p.m. (Vaccine check-in set up at 5:45pm)
Location: Ecole au Coeur-de-l'Ile at 566 Linshart Rd. in Comox.
Sports: We'll rotate between Indoor Soccer on odd-numbered weeks (Weeks 1, 3, 5 and 7) and a mix of Basketball and Volleyball the even-numbered weeks (2, 4, 6 and 8).
Proof of Vaccination and Access to Gyms: Players enter through the school's main doors and proceed with a mask on to the gym at the end of the hallway. The coordinator will check for proof of vaccination at the gym entry doors each week. No masks are needed once in the gym and then it's off to play. All players are asked to self-screen for COVID symptoms and stay home if there are any. Here is a sample checklist: https://comoxvalleysports.ca/news/covid-19-screening-checklist/.
NIC SUPPORTS & SERVICES UPDATES
- Library & Learning Commons. The Comox Valley Library & Learning Commons has extended its hours to Monday to Thursday from 8 am – 8 pm and Fridays from 8 am to 6 pm. In addition, there is increased face-to-face Writing Support and virtual hours on Wednesdays! See Writing Support hours and book in to see us here. Face-to-face research help is available at the Campbell River, Comox Valley, and Port Alberni libraries. The library staff can help you find, access, and cite scholarly resources or help you focus your research topic. Book your face-to-face or virtual appointment here.
- Student Technical Services Drop-In. Drop-In sessions are available to get help with Blackboard Learn or any technology-based questions Mondays to Fridays from 10-11 am and again from 3-4 pm. To learn more and to join drop-in sessions, visit the Student Technical Services calendar here.
- Thriving in Action Weekly Workbook. Each week of the academic year comes with its unique challenges. The Thriving in Action Weekly Workbook was designed to provide you with at least one exercise that has proven to be effective in increasing life satisfaction, happiness, and resilience. Download the Student Weekly Workbook here.
“Magic is really very simple; all you’ve got to do is want something and then let yourself have it.”
– Aggie Cromwell, HALLOWEENTOWN (1998)
If there is information you'd like to see included in upcoming communications, or would like to share, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enjoy your week and stay well!
Student Life Team
If you wish to respond or have any questions, please click here.