IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES
- Mon, Sept 6th: Labour Day – College Closed.
- Tues, Sept 7th: Orientation Day – No Scheduled Classes
- Tues, Sept 7th: First day of fall term. All fees must be paid in full, and all pre-requisites met by 4 pm for Fall Term.
- Wed, Sept 8th: Fall classes begin.
- Mon, Sept 13th: Last day for waitlisted students to claim seats; remaining waitlists will be cleared at 4 pm.
- Thurs, Sept 16th: Last day to register, apply for refund, change from credit to audit.
- Thurs, Sept 30th: Last day to opt-out of NISU Health & Dental Benefits.
- Thurs, Sept 30th: National Day for Truth and Reconciliation – College closed.
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
- Fall 2021 Virtual Orientation has launched! You can find all information and details on orientation sessions here. Tuesday, Sept 7th we will be hosting our Welcome to NIC session from 10:00 – 11:00 am PDT and the North Island Students’ Union session from 12:30 – 1:30 pm PDT. We will also give away two Skullcandy Wireless Earbuds during the Welcome to NIC session!! To win, join us at 10am!!
Here are the details to join Welcome to NIC session at 10am.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 876 9251 4224
One tap mobile
Dial by your location
+1 647 558 0588 Canada
+1 778 907 2071 Canada
+1 204 272 7920 Canada
+1 438 809 7799 Canada
+1 587 328 1099 Canada
+1 647 374 4685 Canada
Meeting ID: 876 9251 4224
- Student Leadership Team. NIC’s Student Leadership Team supports and develops skills in emerging leaders in a fun, dynamic and engaging way. The student leaders explore many aspects of leadership, acknowledging that everything we do has impacts locally and globally. Student leaders take part in leadership workshops and retreats, network with community, help with college events and gain volunteer hours. Learn more about the NIC Student Leadership Team and an upcoming information session on Wed, Sept 22nd from 12:00 – 1:00 pm by emailing email@example.com.
- Campus Life Assistants. NIC’s Student Life team are looking to hire several students as Campus Life Assistants for the Port Alberni, and Port Hardy campuses. To learn more please visit the job posting on Career Central or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Call for Nominations. Interested in running for a student position on the Board of Governors or Education Council? Student positions available include 2 on the Board of Governors and 4 on Education Council. The term of office for student representatives is one year. Students receive an honorarium of $100 per meeting for participating in monthly meetings of Education Council. Honoraria for service on the Board of Governors is $2,000 per year. More information can be found Nomination forms are available on myNIC in the announcement. Completed nomination forms may be emailed to email@example.com no later than 4:00 pm on Friday, September 17th.
UPCOMING IN THE COMMUNITY
- Fire Bans and Restrictions. The campfires, Category 2, and Category 3 open fires are banned throughout the province of British Columbia. This ban will remain in effect until noon on Oct. 15, 2021, or until the order is revoked. Learn more about current fire bans and restrictions here.
- COVID-19 Vaccination. The BC Government is encouraging all who are eligible to register for their COVID vaccine as soon as possible, this includes both domestic and international students. Visit the government website for information on eligibility and the registration process.
- COVID-19 Restrictions. You can view the latest public health orders here. Masks in public indoor settings are now mandatory – this includes NIC campus buildings.
ONGOING NIC SUPPORTS AND SERVICES
On-campus Study Spaces. NIC has multiple options for study spaces at the Campbell River, Comox Valley and Port Alberni campuses where you can access a computer or plug-in your laptop to attend your digital class. Both drop-in and bookable spaces are available. Visit On-campus Study Spaces for more details.
- NIC Library & Learning Commons. Come visit the LLC this semester for a quiet place to work, to access academic supports, or to just sit back and take a break. LLC is the home of research support, writing support, math support, peer tutoring, Student Technical Services, and host various workshops throughout the term. You can also borrow a laptop, print and scan documents, and to book study rooms. Visit the LLC webpage to find out what hours your library is open.
- NIC’s Career Central. The communities within and around our North Island College campuses offer an abundance of part time, full time, temporary, and permanent work opportunities through a diversity of employers and sectors. NIC’s CareerCentral is the place to find jobs specifically targeting NIC students and alumni, with new jobs being posted weekly, so be sure to keep CareerCentral on your radar as you explore employment.
- NIC Bookstore Update – Purchase your digital materials online! The NIC Bookstores are now offering electronic purchases for digital course materials. Visit the Bookstore page for details on hours of operation for each campus to pick up your physical textbooks and materials.
- Emergency Assistance Funds - Sometime emergencies happen that are outside of a student’s control or the best advance planning. NIC may be able to assist with financial support in the form of a bursary to help with emergencies. This funding does not need to be paid back and may be available to assist with books, transportation, childcare, supplies, groceries, and other essentials. Contact a financial aid advisor to find out more. Book online here.
- NIC Student Technical Services are available on Monday-Friday from 8 am to 5 pm to help you with any of your technology related questions. To book an appointment or to learn about the drop-in times visit the Student Technical Services website.
- North Island Students' Union is back with Virtual Office Hours. This is an opportunity to ask questions, receive swag, and build connections. To access the link, download the NISU app. Would you like a Student Planner? Available by mail, connect with your Students’ Union at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
- Have a quick question? Email email@example.com an advisor will get back to you asap. Be sure to leave your student number, email and phone number with your request.
- Learn Anywhere. NIC’s Learn Anywhere website is geared to provide a collection of information that will help you to be a successful digital learner by covering topics such as: What is digital learning? and How can I use NIC-supported technologies during your studies? Students can also access a list of key skills and knowledge all students should have for successful learning in today’s world, knowing your rights and responsibilities and Technology Readiness Checklists.
- Student Cook Book. Find college friendly recipes with tips and tricks to help you feel confident cooking and grocery shopping in this free digital Student Cook Book.
- NIC Student Life Facebook, Instagram & Discord –Connect with us on social to share what you are up to and stay in the loop with upcoming events and information. Go to the NIC Facebook page and click on 'Groups.' Share on social how you’re taking care of yourself and tag NIC on Facebook and Instagram (@nicstudentlife) or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will share on your behalf. Student Life also has a Discord channel under the NISU server. #WeAreNICe #Thrive #NICatHome #NICStudentLife
“Trust the magic of new beginnings.”
– Janet Gwen
If there is information you'd like to see included in upcoming communications, or would like to share, please let us know at email@example.com.
Enjoy your week and stay well!
Student Life Team
If you wish to respond or have any questions, please click here.