Monday, Sept. 12 – Last day for waitlisted students to claim seats
Tuesday, Sept. 13 – Port Alberni main campus Orientation event
Thursday, Sept. 15 - Last day to register, apply for refund, change from credit to audit
EVENTS & INITIATIVES
Visit our Fall 2022 Orientation page for details about resourced and upcoming events.
Drop by the main Port Alberni campus on Tuesday, Sept. 13 from 11:30 am to 1 pm and check out the marketplace, including NIC supports and information. While you’re there, enjoy a free lunch!
Education and/or Financial Aid Advising Drop-ins
If you have an urgent advising question, there are drop-in sessions at the Comox Valley, Campbell River and Port Alberni campuses to help. Advising is here to support you at NIC!
When: Sept. 1-15, 9 am to 4 pm
How: Call us at 1.800.715.0914 ext. 4993 or email us at email@example.com.
PAID student positions available on the Board of Governors and Education Council
Interested in running for a student position on the Board of Governors or Education Council? Paid student positions are available, including two on the Board of Governors and four on the Education Council. You can serve on both at the same time. The term of office for student representatives is one year. Students receive an honorarium of $100 per meeting for participating in monthly meetings of the Education Council. Honoraria for service on the Board of Governors is $2,000 per year. For more information and nomination forms, go to your myNIC account under Announcements. Completed nomination forms should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 4 pm on Friday, Sept. 16.
Campus Life Assistants
Would you like to work with Student Life to develop projects, plan events or create posts for social media? Do you want to gain valuable experience that you can add to your resume? NIC Student Life is looking to hire Campus Life Assistants. Email us at email@example.com to find out more.
Here are a few quick and easy ways to make use of one of this season’s most abundant fruits … apples!
- Apple Sauce: Cut in half, core then cube apples. Add some juice and cook in a pot over medium heat stirring regularly until soft. Use a blender to puree. You can add cinnamon, ginger, allspice, or nutmeg if you like. Spread over pork chops for a savory dish or top plain yoghurt for a snack.
- Dried apples: Cut in half, core then thinly slice apples and lay them in a single layer on a baking sheet. You can toss them with juice and sprinkle with cinnamon if you like. Bake them in the oven for 1 ½ hours at 225F, turning once. Let them cool then store in a sealed container.
- Frozen apples: Cut in half, core then cube and put in sealed bags or containers then put in the freezer. These can be used later in the year for poultry stuffing, muffins, pies, or smoothies.
NIC SUPPORTS & SERVICES
Contact NIC’s Early Assist firstname.lastname@example.org for personal or academic campus and community supports.
For emergencies call 911 or the Vancouver Island Crisis Line at 1-888-494-3888. You can also visit Here2Talk.
Support services include: emergency financial aid, Indigenous supports, counselling, accommodations for disability and much more.
The Library & Learning Commons is your perfect spot to borrow a laptop, print a document or just say hi!
Academic Supports at LLC
- Research Support. Learn to build effective search strategies, choose, and evaluate resources, cite and avoid plagiarism.
- Writing Support. Work one-on-one with NIC faculty to develop your writing skills and receive feedback on your writing assignments.
- Math Support. Spend time working on all levels of math problems with support from NIC math faculty.
- Peer Tutoring. Discover new approaches to studying and learning from highly trained NIC peer tutors.
- Student Technical Services. Helping students understand and utilize technologies to support their studies.
GRATEFUL & THANKFUL
Has an NIC instructor or staff member made a difference in your life as a student? If you would like to recognize someone’s expertise, support, or kindness that contributed to your success, please fill out our recognition form. We will send the nominee an anonymous thank you on your behalf including your comment(s).
Please keep in touch with us over the summer at: email@example.com or our NIC Student Life Facebook or Instagram page. We welcome your feedback!
Lela Kulesh, Rachel Birch, Mez Jiwaji - your Student Life team