Student Life at Home
On August 4, visit this site to access exciting and informative Fall Virtual Orientation 2020 online sessions and win prizes. Sessions will cover a wide range of topics, including:
- Virtual campus tours
- COVID-19 information and safety protocols
- Scheduling and registration
- Academic integrity
- Academic and personal supports
- Student Rights and Responsibilities
- Healthy Relationships
- Student Life and opportunities for getting involved
- Information on local businesses and services (including discounts and special offers for NIC students) Learn more at https://www.nic.bc.ca/life-at-nic/nic-news/news/orientation-day-2020/
A webinar called Learning Digitally: Student Orientation to NIC Learning Technologies has been designed for incoming NIC students. Led by NIC’s Student Technical Services team, this live session will provide you with an overview of the learning platforms and tools you’ll need for your digital classes, along with some tips for learning digitally at NIC.
- Aug. 11, 1-2:30 pm (PDT)
- Aug.17, 2-3:30 pm (PDT)
To register, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The NIC bookstores at all three campuses will be opening between 10:00 – 2:00 Monday to Friday starting Aug. 17, 2020. This is of course dependent on the most current Public Health Officer recommendations. Any changes to this will be posted on the student portal and website when available.
Self-Care: Strategies to Help You Thrive.
- Starting your day off fresh: keep in perspective that we can make a conscious choice to slow down and just breathe throughout the day.
- Focusing on the positives: write three things that went well and you something you are grateful for.
- Getting outdoors: be active, play with your pets, kids, your friends or family.
- Seeing the bigger picture: make a note of one thing you can do today to make a difference.
- Treating yourself: enjoy something that you usually deny yourself.
- Embracing Culture: reflect on your heritage. What part of your cultural roots do you celebrate? Embrace your uniqueness and your history as a valuable part of who you are.
- Take a moment just to rest: give yourself a moment to just close your eyes and let go of your thoughts.
- Time out to breathe: take three minutes to focus on your breathing.
(CMHA National, 2020)
To learn more visit: https://cmha.ca/blogs/16-strategies-to-help-you-thrive
Share with us, how you are taking care of yourself at home. Share on social media and tag NIC on Facebook and Instagram OR send us an email at email@example.com and we will share on your behalf.
#WeAreNICe #Thrive #NICatHome
If you need any support through this time, please reach out to us. You can find information on NIC's counselling services, along with links to community supports, including 24hr crisis lines, on NIC's Counselling page.
We encourage you to join our NIC Student Life Facebook group to connect with us, share your views and stay updated on events and information on student life at NIC. Go to the NIC Facebook page and click on “Groups”.
Healthy Eating - scroll down for another delicious recipe (slow cooker recipe this time for hot summer days). Send your own healthy recipes to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Supports and Services
NIC educational, financial aid and Aboriginal education advisors are available for online drop-in sessions on Thursdays from 1-3 pm PDT starting July 23 and continuing through August. For the online meeting link and directions on how to join these sessions, email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org for Aboriginal advising. Learn more at https://www.nic.bc.ca/life-at-nic/nic-news/news/drop-in-advising/
To prepare students for success North Island College has created Technology Readiness Checklists - Checklist A: Hardware, Checklist B: Software, and Checklist C: Learning Platforms. These checklists will help you be ready for learning with the right tools and technologies. There are PDF versions available for download so you can check off each item you have completed.
Our Student Technical Service team is hosting drop-in sessions to answer any questions on how to use Blackboard or MyNIC. Use your computer or mobile device to connect! Learn more at https://library.nic.bc.ca/studenttech
Learn Anywhere: NIC’s Learn Anywhere website is geared to provide a collection of information that will help you be successful in learning digitally by covering areas such as: What is digital learning? How to be a digital learner while using NIC-supported technologies during your studies? A list of key skills and knowledge all students should have for successful learning in today’s world and knowing your rights and responsibilities. More details: https://learnanywhere.opened.ca/
BC Campus has created a website listing various supports in place from filing tax returns, employment opportunities during COVID, to Canada student loan. Please visit the link to learn about these supports in detail: https://covid19.bccampus.ca/category/financial-supports/
Student Employment Services Student Employment supports are available every day Monday to Friday by telephone or video conferencing and can be booked online via CareerCentral.
As a student, you are eligible to receive a student photo ID card. However, with social distancing restrictions currently in place, face-to-face services in Student Services are unavailable. You can still get your photo ID card by mail. To do this, you will need to email, from your North Island College email address, a jpeg headshot between 10-2500KB, and a clear copy of another photo ID (driver’s license, passport, BC ID, etc) to email@example.com. Once student services have received your jpeg headshot, they will produce your ID card and mail it to the current address on your NIC student record. If you have moved and not updated your address, you must do this, or the card will be sent to the wrong address.
Have you done any research, work or presentations that would be beneficial for other NIC students that we can share? Let us know by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If there is information you'd like to see included in upcoming communications, or would like to share, please let us know at email@example.com.
Enjoy your week and stay well,
Manager, Student Life
If you wish to respond or have any questions, please click here.
5-INGREDIENT BLACK BEAN SOUP
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 18 minutes
- 3 (15 oz) cans black beans, with liquid
- 1 lb. (about 2.5 cups) good-quality salsa, homemade or store-bought
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, loosely packed (plus extra for garnish)
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Stir all ingredients together in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat until simmering. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for at least 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve soup warm topped with additional fresh cilantro as garnish.
More at GIMMESOMEOVEN