If there is information you'd like to see included in upcoming communications, or would like to share, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Life @ Home
A reminder that NIC's Office of Global Engagement has weekly challenges. Be sure to follow them on Facebook and Instagram.
Share how you are taking care of yourself at home. Share on social media and tag NIC on Facebook and Instagram.
Are you looking for indoor exercise options? Try streaming an online workout, yoga or meditation program on your phone. Check out some suggestions here: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/16/best-home-workout-streaming-services-to-try-during-covid-19-pandemic.html
We are working on putting together some online games and engagement opportunities for students so stay tuned!
Self-Care Tips from NIC Counsellors
When you feel anxiety’s tentacles reaching out sending you full speed down the ‘What if’ highway wondering about the future, see if you can p a u s e, and perhaps say to yourself, ‘Breathe my dear’.
Benefits of Deep Breathing:
- Reduces anxiety and depression
- May Lower/stabilize blood pressure
- Increased energy levels
- May provide muscle relaxation
- May help decreased feelings of stress and overwhelm
For more information please visit https://chopra.com/articles/breathing-for-life-the-mind-body-healing-benefits-of-pranayama
Healthy Eating - scroll down for another delicious (and cheap!) recipe. Send your own healthy and cheap recipes to email@example.com.
Supports and Services
The Provincial Government has launched a new, free 24/7 counselling and referral service for post-secondary students. Visit https://here2talk.ca/home for details.
If you need any support through this time, please reach out to us. You can find information on NIC's counselling services, along with links to community supports, including 24hr crisis lines, on NIC's Counselling page.
Online Library Guide
NIC both Writing Support and Math Support are continuing to accept online submissions, questions and appointments until the end of April. Some of our peer tutors are still tutoring using web conferencing software; check the peer tutoring website to see available tutors and book appointments.
To access any of these services, please visit NIC Library & Learning Commons.
Student Employment Services has scheduled several informative online sessions for students. Check out the event calendar at CareerCentral for more details.
Enjoy your week and stay well,
Manager, Student Life
If you wish to respond or have any questions, please click here.
Skillet Sweet Potatoes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 28 minutes
- Total Time: 38 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: One Pan
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet potato, cubed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp coconut or avocado oil
- 2 large red bell peppers, diced
- 14 oz can low sodium black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 cup corn (frozen or canned)
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes, low sodium
- 1 tbsp cumin, divided
- 1/2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 3/4 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 lime, juice of
- 1 cup (4 oz) Tex Mex cheese, shredded
- 2 medium avocados, diced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- Greek yogurt and salsa, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat large deep skillet on medium heat and swirl oil to coat. Add sweet potatoes, 1/2 tbsp cumin, 1/2 tsp salt and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add onion, garlic, bell pepper and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, remaining 1/2 tbsp cumin and 1/4 tsp salt, taco seasoning and pepper; then stir. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Turn off heat. Add avocado, green onion, cilantro, lime juice and stir. Sprinkle with cheese, cover and let stand until cheese has melted.
- Serve hot with Greek yogurt and salsa if desired.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
More at: Clean Eating Recipes