Hello NIC students!
I hope you enjoyed Canada Day, a bit differently this year but with the same joy and spirit. I am pleased to present your weekly Student Life update with various resources and information.
If there is information you'd like to see included in upcoming communications, or would like to share, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Life Home
We encourage you to join our NIC Student Life Facebook group to connect with us, share your views and stay updated on events and information on student life at NIC. Go to NIC Facebook page and click on “Groups”.
If you missed reading the last newsletter, here is the link to find some key 2020 Virtual Student Orientation dates and information:https://www.nic.bc.ca/life-at-nic/nic-news/news/orientation-day-2020/
NIC is developing a series of ‘Learning Digitally’ webinars, which will provide you with information on how to use the various platforms needed for online classes, and how to learn effectively in a digital environment. The live webinars will be offered on July 8 at 1:00 pm, July 10 at 10:00 am, August 11 at 1:00 pm, and August 17 at 2:00 pm. All four webinars are identical, so you only need to attend one. To access please visit: https://www.nic.bc.ca/life-at-nic/nic-news/news/orientation-day-2020/
Do you have questions about your rights and responsibilities under B.C.’s Human Rights Code? Or want to be part of a conversation that will include an overview of the Office of the Human Rights Commission, discussion on BC’s Human Rights Code, and a conversation about human rights issues affecting your region on Thursday, July 9, 2:30-4:30pm via Zoom. RSVP in the link below to receive the meeting link the day before the conversation: https://bchumanrights.ca/events/meet-bcs-human-rights-commissioner/.
Have you done any research, work, presentation that would be beneficial for other NIC students and would like us to share? Let us know by sending an email to email@example.com.
Share with us, how you are taking care of yourself at home. Share on social media and tag NIC on Facebook and Instagram OR send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will share on your behalf.
Self-Care Tips for Emotional Health:
- Forgive someone you have been holding a grudge against
- Do something that’s scared you that you’ve always wanted to do
- Focus on your own needs and goals instead of comparing yourself to others
- Practice compassion for yourself
- Take a break from social media
- Allow yourself to feel your feelings instead of running from them or distracting yourself
- Read a fictional book that lifts your spirits
- Take a break from technology—unplug
- Help someone and don’t expect anything in return
- Practice positive affirmations (Example: You are enough just as you are right now in this moment.)
- Write down a few things you appreciate about yourself
To read the full article, visit https://tinybuddha.com/blog/30-self-care-tips-how-to-avoid-sickness-burnout-and-exhaustion/
Healthy Eating - scroll down for another delicious recipe. Send your own healthy recipes to email@example.com.
Supports and Services
If you need any support through this time, please reach out to us. You can find information on NIC's counselling services, along with links to community supports, including 24hr crisis lines, on NIC's Counselling page.
Learn Anywhere: NIC’s Learn Anywhere information provides useful tips about how to be a digital learner while using NIC-supported technologies during your studies. The tips focus on the technology you will need, how to be successful, accessing student services and knowing your rights and responsibilities. More details at: https://www.nic.bc.ca/life-at-nic/library-learning-commons/learn-anywhere/
BC Campus has created a website listing various supports in place from filing tax returns, employment opportunities during COVID, to Canada student loan. Please visit the link to learn about these supports in detail: https://covid19.bccampus.ca/category/financial-supports/
Student Employment Services Student Employment supports are available everyday Mon-Fri by telephone or video conferencing and can be booked online via CareerCentral.
Enjoy your week and stay well,
Manager, Student Life
If you wish to respond or have any questions, please click here.
5 INGREDIENT BLACK BEAN ENCHILADAS
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 10 corn tortillas
- 1 15oz can black beans
- 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup salsa verde or green enchilada sauce
- Optional: Salsa, sour cream, or cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Wrap the corn tortillas in plastic wrap and microwave them for 30 seconds. This will lightly steam them so you can roll them without them cracking.
- Fill each tortilla with a few tablespoons of black beans and two tablespoons of cheese. Don’t fill them too full or you won’t be able to roll them up. You should end up using about 2/3 of the cheese as filling.
- Roll them and place them in a baking dish, seam side down. It helps if you have a baking dish that is the width of the tortillas so they stay snug.
- Keep lining them up until you reach the edge of the pan. Make one larger pan and one smaller pan if all do not fit in one pan.
- Pour the salsa verde over the wrapped tortillas.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until the cheese has completely melted.
- Top with avocado and serve immediately.
More at: iheartvegetables