If there is information you'd like to see included in upcoming communications, or would like to share, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Life Home
A reminder that NIC's Office of Global Engagement has weekly challenges. Be sure to follow them on Facebook and Instagram.
Office of Student Life has started a **Brand New** Facebook Group called “NIC Student Life” to stay connected with NIC students. We encourage you to join the group to stay updated, connected and share your views on your needs. Go to NIC Facebook page and click on “Groups”.
Hopefully you have been enjoying the recipes we have been providing (see below for another one!). I decided to create a short cooking video showcasing yet another easy, healthy and cheap recipe…hope you enjoy!
Do you enjoy doing yoga or would like to give it try? Here is a link with free online yoga classes for the people who enjoy doing yoga or are new to yoga practice: https://www.thecut.com/article/best-free-yoga-classes-online.html
North Island College's DIGITAL Design + Development programs graduates have shared their innovative creative projects demonstrating their learning in web design, front-end development, computer programming for web and mobile apps, brand identity strategy, logo design and unique packaging solutions. Check out their detailed work here: https://learndigital.dev/
Have you done any research, work, project that would be beneficial for other NIC students and would like us to share? Let us know by sending an email to email@example.com.
Share with us, how you are taking care of yourself at home. Share on social media and tag NIC on Facebook and Instagram OR send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will share on your behalf.
Self-Care Tips for the Mind
- Start a compliments file. Document the great things people say about you to read later.
- Scratch off a lurkeron your to-do list, something that’s been there for ages and you’ll never do.
- Change up the way you make decisions. Decide something with your heart if you usually use your head. Or if you tend to go with your heart, decide with your head.
- Go cloud-watching. Lie on your back, relax, and watch the sky.
- Pay complete attention to something you usually do on autopilot, perhaps brushing your teeth, driving, eating, or performing your morning routine.
- Be selfish. Do one thing today just because it makes you happy.
- Do a mini-declutter. Recycle three things from your wardrobe that you don’t love or regularly wear.
- Unplug for an hour. Switch everything to airplane mode and free yourself from the constant social media and emails
For more information on health and wellness, visit https://tinybuddha.com/
Healthy Eating - scroll down for another delicious (and cheap!) recipe. Send your own healthy and cheap recipes to email@example.com.
Supports and Services
If you need any support through this time, please reach out to us. You can find information on NIC's counselling services, along with links to community supports, including 24hr crisis lines, on NIC's Counselling page.
Library and Learning Commons has created some amazing videos to assist students with Writing Support and Math Support.
BC Campus has created a new website with very useful resources for students, including information on mental health support, financial relief, online learning and more!
The wonderful Department of Accessible Learning Services (DALS) team have created a short video outlining the variety of services and supports they provide.
Student Employment Services Student Employment supports are available everyday Mon-Fri by telephone or video conferencing and can be booked online via CareerCentral.
Enjoy your week and stay well,
Manager, Student Life
If you wish to respond or have any questions, please click here.
5-Ingredient Bacon Asparagus Pasta
Prep time: 2 minutes
Cook time: 18 minutes
- 1/2 lb. (8 oz.) uncooked pasta (I used linguine)
- 1/2 lb. (about 8 strips) uncooked bacon, diced
- 1/2 lb. (8 oz.) fresh aspagarus, ends trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (or you can double this if you’d like)
- 1/2 cup grated or flaked Parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of generously-salted water al dente according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, add bacon to a medium saute pan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until crispy. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add asparagus to the pan and saute in the bacon grease for about 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cooked. Remove asparagus with a slotted spoon and set aside with the bacon. Slowly add the white wine to the pan, and scape the bottom of the pan with a spoon to deglaze the pan and pick up all of those yummy brown bits. Continue cooking for 5 minutes, or until the wine has reduced by about half.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain it. Then add the pasta, asparagus, bacon and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese to the saute pan and toss until combined. Sprinkle pasta with the remaining Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
- *If the pasta seems too dry, add in 1/4 cup of the pasta water after adding in the asparagus and bacon and toss to combine.
More at: GimmeSomeOven