Human Services Certificate - Educational Assistant / Community Support

Prepare to provide support and assist individuals with a broad range of differing abilities. Make employer connections and gain first-hand experience through workplace practicums. Become qualified for a career as an educational assistant or community support in school districts, group homes, employment agencies and community organizations, or transfer to NIC’s Human Services diploma.


Applications for Fall 2021 start will open Thurs, Oct 1, 2020

Where: Comox Valley
Starts: September
Length: 1 year
Delivery: On-campus and Digital (Blended)

We’ve detected that you are using Internet Explorer. EducationPlannerBC (BC’s post-secondary online application system) supports the Chrome, Firefox, Edge or Safari browser.

My practicums taught me so much, giving me experience working with people with diverse abilities.  I am now working through the CDA (Child Development Centre) with the Project Inclusion that I did one of my practicums at.

Kelly Hillis, NIC Human Services Certificate alumna

close button

Share this gallery:

Program Requirements

  • ENG-115 Essay Writing and Critical Analysis or ENG-116 Essay Writing and Indigenous Perspective
  • HSW-152 Foundations of Human Service Practice
  • HSW-164 Foundations of Community Support
  • HSW-136 Holistic Health and Well Being
  • HSW-167 Support Strategies for Skill Development
  • HSW-170 Education Assistant/Community Support Practice Experience I
  • HSW-190 Education Assistant in the Classroom
  • PSY-250 Human Development from Conception through Childhood
  • PSY-251 Human Development from Adolescence through Adulthood
  • SSW-121 Interpersonal Communications
  • HSW-174 Human Service Practice Experience II


Practice Experience

You will gain extensive practice experience throughout the ten-month program. Practice experience placements are offered to provide you with actual on-the-job training in a school or community service agency. The placements are supervised by teachers, agency personnel and faculty. A weekly seminar provides additional learning and connection of theory with practice. The purpose of the practice experience is to provide you with direct experience. This allows you to learn exactly what the job entails, what skills are required and the opportunity to learn those skills both in theory and in practice.

Completion Requirements

  1. A letter grade of C (60%) or better in all classes.
  2. A letter grade of P (Pass) in all Practicum courses.
  3. Students must receive a letter grade of C (60%) or better in all certificate courses (HSW, SSW, PSY-250 and PSY-251) to be promoted from one term to the next term. A student who fails any course in the program cannot progress until the course is passed. ENG-115 or ENG-116 courses are not a requirement of progression but must be completed with a grade of C (60%) or better in order to obtain the credential.

    In order to repeat a course, you must reapply to the program in a subsequent offering of the same term in which the failure occurred providing there is an available seat. If in repeating the course, you fail again, then you will be removed entirely from the program and can only re-enter by going through the admission process. Please note that you may be required to begin at term one.
    If you fail a course, re-enter the program and successfully repeat the failed course, and then fail another course, you will be removed entirely from the program and can only re-enter by going through the admission process. Please note that you may be required to begin at term one.
    Re-entering the program under any circumstance is dependent on an available seat and at the discretion of the human services department and in consultation with the Dean. If you fail a course, you may be asked to complete a learning assessment prior to being reconsidered for re-admission. These regulations are important to the profession to ensure that graduates have the required skills and knowledge, and are therefore deemed safe to practice.
  4. All students are required to adhere to the program expectations document. Failure to adhere to these standards may result in your being required to leave the program.

Admission Requirements

  1. C+ in one of Provincial English 12, English Studies 12, English First Peoples 12, NIC ENG-060, ENG-096, or ENG-098; or C+ in ESL-092 and ESL-095; or English assessment.
  2. Completed 20 hours volunteer work and HSW Professional Reference Information Sheet.
  3. Signed Human Services Requisite Skills and Abilities document. 
  4. 300-word HSW Letter of Intent for coming into the program and career goals.

Priority Admission for Aboriginal Applicants

The British Columbia Human Rights Tribunal has provided Special Program approval to allow priority admission for a selected number of self-declared Aboriginal applicants to this program beginning in September 2013. For more information please refer to NIC's Aboriginal Education Services program page or contact an Aboriginal Advisor at your local campus.

International Language Requirements

If you are applying as an international student, you must meet NIC international admission requirements.

Upgrade with us to meet prerequisites

Upgrade your English, math and science courses for entry into the program of your choice. Succeed with the help of NIC’s supportive instructors. Courses are flexible and start several times a year so you can learn at your own pace. We offer daytime and evening options. Learn more

Before Classes Begin

Once accepted to the program but before classes begin, you will be required to:

  • attend a group information session. This mandatory session is designed to assist you in making an informed decision about pursuing a career in human services. The admissions department will send you an invitation with details regarding the date and time of the information session.
  • hold a Standard First Aid Certification with CPR Level C that will remain valid through to the end of the program.
  • submit a Criminal Record Check Permission form, which will be sent to you by Admissions once you are offered a seat in the program.
  • complete a Personal Immunization form which will be sent to you by the admissions office when you have a seat in the program. It must be validated by the public health nurse at your local health unit.

Note: Human services students are not required to meet the PSY-130 and PSY-131 prerequisites for registering in PSY-250 and PSY-251. If you choose to work toward a degree, you may be required to complete PSY-130 and PSY-131.

If you wish to reduce your workload, you can take ENG-115 before entering into the program.

Transfer Credit & Credit For Prior Learning

Students with previous course work from another accredited institution may apply to transfer course credits to North Island College. For more information refer to Steps to University Transfer or contact Student Services.
Your previous life, work, or study experience, unassociated with formal education, may qualify for Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR). Your knowledge and skills will be evaluated to determine if you meet the objectives for selected courses up to a maximum of 50 per cent of the program. To qualify for PLAR, you must apply to the program, meet all the program requirements, and complete the PLAR before entering the program or one term before the scheduled course(s). The fee for each PLAR course is 75 per cent of the regular course fee. Refer to NIC policy #4-10: Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition. For information about which courses qualify for PLAR please contact the program department chair.

When you meet some learning objectives in a course(s) the assessment process may result in an exemption from some portion of the course(s). You will be required to register in the course and pay full tuition but your workload would be reduced. Note that eligibility for this process will be granted on an individual basis by the department. You must apply one semester in advance of the course start date. For more information please contact the program department chair.



To Be Successful

  • You must adhere to the program expectations document and standards outlined in individual human service course guides (ie: attendance, confidentiality, professional conduct, etc). You are encouraged to review this document and decide if you are able to meet the standards outlined. If you have concerns about meeting program expectations, you are encouraged to speak with a human services faculty member or college counselor.

  • Strong essay writing and good computer skills are required as you are expected to submit well-written, word-processed assignments and access online resources.

  • If you are planning to continue on to a university degree program in education, social work or child and youth care, ensure your elective choices are university transferable. 


Accessible Learning

Making education accessible for those with a documented disability is a key priority for NIC. We offer a wide range of services, supports and resources for students. For more information visit: Accessible Learning Services.

Susan Shantz

Susan Shantz


Human Services

Susan holds a Masters of Social Work from the University of BC.  Her undergraduate in the Bachelor of Social Work comes from the University of Calgary.

Subjects: Human Service Worker, Social Services
Comox Valley Campus 250-334-5084 | Location PNT - 124

Kerri Lowey Mackenzie

Kerri Lowey Mackenzie
Comox Valley Campus 250-334-5000 ext. 4229 | Location PNT - 124

Program Highlights

NIC's Human Services department and its programs are part of a provincial network that ensures not only high-quality instruction and programming, as well as transferability throughout the province. 

The Educational Assistant/Community Support program is offered over ten months at the Comox Valley campus, and is divided into three terms.

The first term exposes you to an anti-oppressive, feminist framework with which to examine and understand social issues and ethics pertaining to disabilities. Communication skills and critical thinking are highlighted.

The first semester includes five courses. You will learn a variety of frameworks for analyzing the structure and problems within society and exploring the different models for supporting families and individuals. You will study human development and develop strong research and writing skills through university English.

During the second term, you will continue your study of human development through the lifespan. There will be opportunities to explore in-depth theories, skills and positive behaviour support strategies. You will learn to support the health and wellness of individuals in the community and in school settings through supervised placements in a community agency or school and participation in weekly seminars to discuss ethical issues and reflect on practical experiences.

The third term consists of six weeks of full-time supervised practice experience in a school or community agency. This invaluable experience allows you to use your new skills and knowledge in practice. The final term also provides you with exposure to the field and employment connections. You will attend a weekly seminar to continue learning through reflection, discussion and writing.

Career Opportunities

As a graduate of the Educational Assistant/Community Support program you will be prepared to assist individuals who have physical, cognitive and psychiatric disabilities.

As education assistant, you will qualify to work in schools and, under the supervision of the teacher, provide classroom support.

As a community support worker, you may pursue a career in community-based or government agencies, in departments that assist individuals with special needs.

Some graduates have started their own community support businesses and hold contracts with a variety of government and non-government agencies in departments that assist individuals with developmental or physical disabilities.

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What type of volunteer experience can I use when applying for this program?
    You are required to complete 20 hours of volunteer service in a human service agency, in direct contact with clients, prior to entering the program. Your supervisor must verify the number of hours completed and confirm that your performance with the volunteer organization was acceptable.
  2. Are class-related activities held in the evenings or on weekends?
    Some classes are held in the evening, although most are scheduled during the day. You may be required to work evenings or weekends for their practicum placement.
  3. Can I work while taking the program?
    The program is a full-time commitment. Working in addition to study is not recommended.
  4. What kinds of assignments will we do?
    You will write research papers, contribute to group projects, write tests and participate in many other classroom activities. Because you are expected to complete many essays and research papers, strong writing skills and computer literacy are important.
  5. How much homework can I expect?
    You should expect to spend at least an hour of homework for every hour of class.
  6. What kinds of workplace experience sessions are available?
    Workplace experience sessions are available in group homes, community outreach agencies in areas supporting individuals with special needs, the school district, alternative school-based programs and a variety of other human service or community based agencies.
  7. Do I need a car?
    You will need to have reliable transportation to reach your practicum placements. You can also accept practicum placements located close to public transit or within walking distance.
  8. Can classes be transferred?
    Some classes are transferable to other BC universities and colleges. If you plan to continue into a university degree program in education, social work or child and youth care, ensure that your elective choices are university-transferable. For more information, meet with an educational advisor.
  9. Can I use this qualification in other provinces or countries?
    If you wish to pursue employment outside of BC, it is advisable to check required qualifications for your career in the province or country in which you want to work. Graduates of the Education Assistant/Community Support Worker program have used their qualifications to work in other jurisdictions, but it is important to confirm transferability with agencies ahead of time.
  10. What if I have a lot of experience in human services already?
    If you have worked or volunteered extensively in the human services field, you may be able to receive credit for your work. Prior Learning Assessment & Recognition (PLAR) is a process that allows you to get credit for learning through employment, volunteering, workshops or other life experiences. You are still required to pay a fee and complete some work to demonstrate your knowledge and skill level in the course for which you wish to receive credit. For more information on PLAR, visit Assessment Services.

Tuition & Costs Estimate

Costs indicated are estimates for a 100% course load per year, unless otherwise noted. Additional fees may also include necessary equipment, supplies, NIC appointed uniforms, or field trips not included in these estimates.

While we do our best to share accurate and timely fee information, changes may occur. For more information, visit our tuition page.

Domestic Fees

Tuition $3,494
NISU Fees $148
Books $1,250
Learner Resource $183
Health and Dental $275
Total $5,350

Full-time students are automatically enrolled in the mandatory Health and Dental Benefit plan ($275).

Book costs noted are estimates for planning purposes.  Accurate book costs are available by course through the NIC book search.

Find out if this program is eligible for Student Aid BC funding.

This program is tuition refund Category 1.

International Fees

Tuition $15,606
NISU Fees $148
Student Services Fees $1,040
Books $1,250
Learner Resource $183
Health and Dental $275
Total $18,502

Additional costs for International students include the $100 application fee (required).

Full-time students are automatically enrolled in the mandatory Health and Dental Benefit plan ($275).

For more information on tuition costs and refunds refer to International Tuition and Costs.

Book costs noted are estimates for planning purposes.  Accurate book costs are available by course through the NIC book search.