University Studies

University transfer means starting your education at NIC and then applying for admission to another institution to complete your degree. The institution where you will complete your studies is called the receiving institution.

Explore a variety of subjects with NIC's wide range of courses that are transferable to universities across BC and beyond. Choose a combination of English, humanities and social science, math and science courses to create a custom transfer plan, helping you move seamlessly into the university or program of your choice.

You may also be interested in a two-year associate degree.

NIC’s University Transfer Pathways explains some of NIC’s unique partnership agreements.

NIC Educational advisors are here to make your transfer planning or financial aid questions easier. Book an appointment.


  • To apply to most universities as a transfer student, you must complete between 24‒60 transferable credits at NIC
  • You must meet the university and faculty admission requirements for your receiving institution
  • Your credits and program at NIC should be chosen based on the curriculum of the program you are applying to
  • You must meet the required minimum competitive GPA for admission
  • Some programs have additional admission criteria - make sure you review the program page on the university’s website.
  • Application deadlines vary between universities and programs. Visit the institution's website for admission criteria, program and course information
  • An NIC Educational advisor can help you develop a personalized transfer plan for the university that you are interested in attending.
  • Know the requirements/courses of the program you want to transfer to by reviewing the university’s website
  • Refer to the BC Transfer Guide to find equivalencies for courses at NIC and other institutions in BC
  • Choose your courses at NIC based on the requirements of the university program and plan to complete prerequisite courses first
  • If you are completing a program at NIC as well, ensure you meet the requirements
  • Check your transfer university's websites and the BC Transfer Guide regularly for the most accurate and current information.

An Associate degree allows you to complete the first two years (60 credits) of a four-year bachelor’s degree at NIC before transferring to university. NIC offers associate degrees in both Arts and Science disciplines. The following checklists will help you plan and track your progress toward completion of an associate degree.

Students applying to NIC for an Associate Degree will select University Studies as their subject area and Associate of Arts Degree-General or Associate of Science Degree - General as their program on EducationPlannerBC.

These will not be supported by the BC Transfer Guide from August 2020

A Flexible Pre-Major (FPM) refers to first and second-year courses that students are required to complete in order to be admitted to a major at the third-year level.

An FPM is a set of flexible requirements:

  • deliverable by the sending institution and acceptable to the receiving institution;
  • deemed to fulfill the lower level requirements for the major.


With FPM agreements in place across many institutions, you can plan your first and second-year courses and leave open multiple options for transferring into various BC institutions for entrance into the major at the third-year level.  If you plan to attend a particular university and end up not doing so, completion of the FPM for the chosen major will allow you to complete your major at another participating institution.

Flexible pre-majors are existing for anthropology, biology, economics, English, mathematics, psychology and sociology.  Check the BC Transfer Guide to see NIC’s course options.

Students applying to NIC with the goal of a FPM will select University Studies as their subject area and program on EducationPlannerBC,

Block Transfer is when a group of courses, often in the form of a certificate, diploma, or associate degree, is recognized as a whole for transfer credit. For a complete list of options at NIC, please visit the BC Transfer Guide.

Students applying to NIC with the goal of a block transfer will select University Studies as their subject area and program on EducationPlannerBC.