Are you interested representing the student community on NIC’s Board of Governors?
Every year, NIC students elect two representatives to provide leadership, insight and skills on NIC’s Board of Governors. Over the year, students provide valuable perspectives while gaining tangible experience and connections to support their career goals.
Why should I get involved?
- Contribute your voice and vote on policies and decisions that affect student experiences and success
- Gain experience with budgets, strategic plans, revenue generation and public relations
- Work with successful community members
- Strengthen your project management and team-building skills
- Build your résumé
- Raise your academic and professional profile
- Learn about governance and the guidelines of running meetings
What is the Role of the Board of Governors?
There are two student positions on NIC’s Board of Governors. The board makes policy decisions to guide the organization, determine its broad goals, overall management and general welfare. Its decisions are subject to the provisions of provincial legislation. Board members are advocates of NIC and work for the benefit of NIC as a whole. They meet about once a month; however, members can participate on board subcommittees, which require an extra time commitment. Students receive an honorarium of $2,000 per year for service on the Board of Governors.
Pick up a nomination form from Student Services or download it from myNIC announcement. Nominations may be emailed to the Office of the Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
See Election Rules & Regulations for the official rules & regulations.