IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES
- Monday, Nov. 29 – Friday, Dec. 3: Last week of classes.
- Wednesday, Dec. 1: Opt-out period for NISU Health & Dental Benefits for 2022 Winter term.
- Monday, Dec. 6 – Thursday, Dec. 16: Fall Final Exams.
- Monday, Dec. 27 – Monday, Jan. 3: College Closed.
- Access to Practical Nursing Pathway Info Session. Health care assistants wanting to further their career and become licensed practical nurses are invited to Puntledge Hall on Thursday, Nov. 25 at 6:30 pm for an information session. Email Leslie.Stuart@nic.bc.ca for additional information.
- Library & Learning Commons Workshops. Citation workshops continue to run every week! Learn how to form and incorporate your citations and build your bibliography. We’ll also cover formatting your paper in APA or MLA style. Register online here. We will also be offering a Writing Workshop: Integrating Quotations on Tuesday, Nov. 23 from 7-8 pm.
- Living Library. Everyone has a story to tell! Have you had an unusual, exceptional, or relatable experience that you’re willing to share with other NIC community members in an informal and respectful setting? The NIC Living Library team is looking for NIC faculty, staff and students who are willing to have open and honest conversations about a variety of topics and life experiences. Some examples of topics include:
- Going back to school as a mature student
- Studying / travelling overseas
- Publishing a book or article
- Overcoming any type of challenge
- Any experience that was thrilling or chilling
What is the commitment required for a living book?
A book will be “checked out” for 30 minutes at a time. The conversations will all take place over BlueJeans. We are asking for a commitment of two hours between Feb. 14-18, 2022. You can decide if you want to be available in the afternoon or evening and whether to offer a single two-hour block or to break it up over the week. There will also be a short orientation for all of the books a couple of weeks prior to the event.
If you’re interested in participating as a living book or would like to nominate someone please fill out an Expression of Interest form by Dec. 31, 2021. If you have any questions please contact Jennifer Evans (email@example.com).
- November is Financial Literacy Month! Wondering where you can find information on external financial aid? There are many organizations or individuals who have monetary awards on offer — the secret is finding them! Some are scholarships, largely based on academic accomplishment. Some are bursaries that are dependent upon applicants who show financial need. Each may have other selection criteria such as being a student in a particular program of study, year of study, community involvement and other factors.
Be creative, ask friends and family if they know of any that would apply to you. Is your parent or are you yourself in a union? A member of a social service organization? Does your employer offer any incentives?
NIC posts external awards that come to our attention on your NIC portal – please check out the tab “$$ Awards” to see what opportunities may be available.
You can also book a meeting with a financial aid advisor to explore what you may be eligible for.
- Young Professionals Campbell River. Are you interested in social networking, professional development and giving back to your community? Join the Young Professionals of Campbell River! Come check us out at our November social at the Riptide Pub on Thursday, Nov. 25 from 6:30-8:30 pm to meet some fellow young pros and enjoy live music. Young professionals can also access a $75 Junior Annual Membership rate if they are between 18 and 25 years old. If you are interested but unable to attend our pub night, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org and a board member will be happy to meet with you. You can find the Facebook page here.
IN OUR COMMUNITIES
- Parking at Comox Valley Aquatic Centre. There have been recent reports from patrons of the Comox Valley Aquatic Centre of individuals parking their cars in the Aquatic Centre’s parking lot and then walking towards the NIC campus. A friendly reminder that the parking lot at the Aquatic Centre is for their patrons and is not student-designated parking. They will tow vehicles if not using the aquatics facility. You can see a map of the Comox Valley campus and NIC parking lot.
- COVID-19 Vaccination. The BC Government is encouraging all who are eligible to register for their COVID vaccine as soon as possible, this includes both domestic and international students. Visit the government website for information on eligibility and the registration process.
- COVID-19 Restrictions. You can view the latest public health orders here. Masks in public indoor settings are now mandatory – this includes NIC campus buildings.
NIC SUPPORTS & SERVICES UPDATES
- Library & Learning Commons. The Comox Valley Library & Learning Commons has increased face-to-face Writing Support and virtual hours on Wednesdays! Book your appointment here. Math Support has transitioned to online for the next couple of weeks. Book your drop-in or one-on-one appointment here. Are you looking for a space where you can get together to work on group projects or just a quiet place to study? The library has a room that’s just right for you. Book today.
GRATEFUL & THANKFUL
- Has an NIC instructor or staff member made a difference in your life as a student? Perhaps someone’s expertise, support or kindness has made all the difference to your success, or maybe just made you smile. If you would like to recognize the contribution of an instructor or staff member, fill out our recognition form. We will send the nominee a thank you on your behalf including your comment(s). Please note that you will remain anonymous.
- Thriving in Action Weekly Workbook. Each week of the academic year comes with its own unique challenges. The Thriving in Action Weekly Workbook was designed to provide you with at least one exercise that has proven to be effective in increasing life satisfaction, happiness, and resilience. Download the Student Weekly Workbook here.
“Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.”
– Robert Collier
If there is information you'd like to see included in upcoming communications, or would like to share, please let us know at email@example.com.
Enjoy your week and stay well!
Student Life Team
If you wish to respond or have any questions, please click here.