IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES
- Mon, July 19, 2021: 7-week Summer term exam schedule posted
- Fri, July 30, 2021: Last day to withdraw without academic penalty for 7-week Summer term.
- Mon, Aug 2, 2021: BC Day – College Closed.
- Mon, Aug 3 – Fri, Aug 6: Last week of classes for 14 week Spring intersession.
- Mon, Aug 9 – Sat, Aug 21: 14 week Spring intersession final exams.
- Mon, Aug 16 – Fri, Aug 20: Last week of classes for 7-week Summer term.
- Tues, Aug 17, 2021: Last day to pay fees for Fall Limited Entry Programs.
- Mon, Aug 23 – Sat, Aug 28: 7 week Summer term fall exams.
- How to Apply for a Full-Time Student Loan. Join us for a live, virtual information session to learn more about applying for financial aid. During these sessions, NIC Financial Aid Advisors will provide an overview of how to apply online for a full-time student loan through StudentAidBC.
Date: July 13, 2021
Time: 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Location: Online via BlueJeans.
Register here for July 13th
- Fall Orientation. While we are excited to be working towards returning to campus this fall, NIC has decided to keep with a virtual orientation this year. Virtual Orientation will launch Aug 3rd so keep an eye out in your student email and the weekly newsletters for more information!
- NIC Graduation. Check out NIC’s Virtual Grad webpage to celebrate the outstanding students who have completed their programs this past year.
UPCOMING IN THE COMMUNITY
- COVID-19 Vaccination. The BC Government is encouraging all who are eligible to register for their COVID vaccine as soon as possible, this includes both domestic and international students. Visit https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/register for information on eligibility and the registration process.
- CRAG Film Club. The Campbell River Art Gallery (CRAG) now offers a bi-weekly film club called CRAG Sunday Screenings. The screenings and Q&As will be entirely virtual, free to register, and not geo-blocked (so international students and faculty can access). Registration also gives folks access to the watch page for the entire weekend and a recording of the post-screening Q&A in case they can’t attend from 6-8 PM on Sunday. For more information and to register please visit the CRAG website.
SUPPORTS AND SERVICES UPDATE
- Library & Learning Commons Summer Update.
- The Comox Valley Campus will remain open and staffed throughout the summer. NIC students will be able to access research, writing, math support and peer tutoring via BlueJeans, live chat, email, and phone.
- The Campbell River Library will be closed July & August. During that time, the Library group study rooms will remain open and accessible from the main commons area.
- Port Alberni Library will be closed July & August.
- Mixalakwila Campus Library will be closed July & August. Students can call the campus to book computers.
If you have any questions, please visit LLC website
- NIC Bookstores Summer Update. NIC campus bookstores are preparing to close for the summer on June 18, 2021. They will reopen August 19, 2021. Students during this time can connect with the warehouse for their material needs by either calling 1-800-715-0914 ext. 4027 or emailing email@example.com.
ONGOING SUPPORTS AND SERVICES
- NIC Bookstore Update – Purchase your digital materials online! The NIC Bookstore is now offering electronic purchases for digital course materials. Visit the Bookstore page for details. The campus stores are also open from 10 am – 2 pm Monday through Friday for students.
- Emergency Assistance Funds - Sometime emergencies happen that are outside of a student’s control or the best advance planning. NIC’s may be able to assist with financial support in the form of a bursary to help with emergencies. This funding does not need to be paid back and may be available to assist with books, transportation, childcare, supplies, groceries and other essentials. Contact a financial aid advisor to find out more. Book online here.
- NIC Student Technical Services are available on Monday-Friday from 8 am to 5 pm to help you with any of your technology related questions. To book an appointment or to learn about the drop-in times visit https://library.nic.bc.ca/studenttech.
- North Island Students' Union is back with Virtual Office Hours. This is an opportunity to ask questions, receive swag, and build connections. To access the link, download the NISU app. Would you like a Student Planner? Available by mail, connect with your Students’ Union at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
- Have a quick question? Email email@example.com an advisor will get back to you asap. Be sure to leave your student number, email and phone number with your request.
- NIC Library & Learning Commons is open for students to pick up holds and laptops, book study rooms, use the computers, and print. Visit https://library.nic.bc.ca/AboutUs/Hours/ to find out what hours your library is open. Research and Writing supports are available online every day. Find out more at library.nic.bc.ca.
- Book a Peer Tutor through the Library & Learning Commons! Tutors are available for Nursing, Business, English, Math, Science, Digital Design, Psychology, Spanish & study skills. Book your Peer Tutor online now!
- Learn Anywhere. NIC’s Learn Anywhere website is geared to provide a collection of information that will help you to be a successful digital learner by covering topics such as: What is digital learning? and How can I use NIC-supported technologies during your studies? Students can also access a list of key skills and knowledge all students should have for successful learning in today’s world, knowing your rights and responsibilities and Technology Readiness Checklists.
GRATEFUL & THANKFUL
- Has an NIC instructor or staff member made a difference in your life as a student? Perhaps someone’s expertise, support or kindness has made all the difference to your success, or maybe just made you smile. If you would like to recognize the contribution of an instructor or staff member, fill out our recognition form. We will send the nominee a thank you on your behalf including your comment(s). Please note – you will remain anonymous.
STUDENTS OF NIC CAMPAIGN
- Do you or does a friend have a story worth sharing with others about their journey to North Island College? We would like to invite you to participate in our Students of NIC Campaign. Examples of previous students who have participated can be accessed here.
The purpose of this campaign is to share authentic stories of students and their journey to NIC in their own words. Normally, we would do this with an interview, which can be set up through BlueJeans. Another option would be for you to write your story out and send it to us via email. We would then share your story on NIC's Facebook and Instagram pages. If you have any questions or are interested in participating, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Student Cook Book. Find college friendly recipes with tips and tricks to help you feel confident cooking and grocery shopping in this free digital Student Cook Book.
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed (check for small dirt clods and rocks)
- 1 package of low sodium taco seasoning
- 2 ¼ cups water
- Tortillas Toppings of choice 1.
- In a large saucepan or skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onions begin to soften.
- Add lentils and taco seasoning to pan. Cook until the spices are fragrant and the lentils are dry, about 1 minute or so.
- Add the water to the lentils and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover the lentils, and simmer until the lentils are tender and most of the liquid is gone, about 25-30 minutes but cook longer if needed. Uncover the lentils and continue to cook until the mixture thickens, about 3-5 minutes more.
- Once the lentils are cooked, make up your tacos with all your favorite toppings!
- NIC Counselling is available to all NIC students! You can find information on NIC's counselling services, along with links to community supports, including 24-hour crisis lines, on NIC's Counselling page.
- NIC Student Life Facebook, Instagram & Discord –Connect with us on social to share what you are up to and stay in the loop with upcoming events and information. Go to the NIC Facebook page and click on 'Groups.' Share on social how you’re taking care of yourself and tag NIC on Facebook and Instagram (@nicstudentlife) or send us an email at email@example.com and we will share on your behalf. Student Life also has a Discord channel under the NISU server. #WeAreNICe #Thrive #NICatHome #NICStudentLife
“Comparison kills creativity. There is room for you. Nobody can do it with your voice, with your experience, with your insight.”
– Karen Walrond
If there is information you'd like to see included in upcoming communications, or would like to share, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enjoy your week and stay well!
Student Life Team
If you wish to respond or have any questions, please click here.