IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES
- Mon, Aug 9 – Sat, Aug 21: 14 week Spring intersession final exams.
- Mon, Aug 16 – Fri, Aug 20: Last week of classes for 7-week Summer term.
- Tues, Aug 17, 2021: Last day to pay fees for Fall Limited Entry Programs.
- Mon, Aug 23 – Sat, Aug 28: 7 week Summer term final exams.
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
- Fall 2021 Virtual Orientation has launched! While we are excited to be working towards returning to campus this fall, NIC has decided to keep with a virtual orientation this year. You can find all information and details on orientation sessions here. This week we have two events, Navigating NIC’s Digital Learning Platforms on Tues, Aug 17th from 10-11am PDT and another Peer Drop-In Session on Wed, Aug 18th from 6-7 pm PDT.
- Student Leadership Team. Looking for a way to get involved in the NIC community and develop leadership skills? Learn more about the NIC Student Leadership Team and an upcoming information session by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Campus Life Assistants. NIC’s Student Life team are looking to hire several students as Campus Life Assistants for the Comox Valley, Port Alberni, and Port Hardy campuses. To learn more please visit the job posting on Career Central or email email@example.com.
UPCOMING IN THE COMMUNITY
- Fire Bans and Restrictions. The campfires, Category 2, and Category 3 open fires are banned throughout the province of British Columbia. This ban will remain in effect until noon on Oct. 15, 2021, or until the order is revoked. Learn more about current fire bans and restrictions here.
- COVID-19 Vaccination. The BC Government is encouraging all who are eligible to register for their COVID vaccine as soon as possible, this includes both domestic and international students. Visit the government website for information on eligibility and the registration process.
SUPPORTS AND SERVICES UPDATE
- Library & Learning Commons Summer Update.
- The Comox Valley Library will remain open and staffed throughout the summer. NIC students will be able to access research, writing, math support and peer tutoring via BlueJeans, live chat, email, and phone.
- The Campbell River Library will be closed July & August. During that time, the Library group study rooms will remain open and accessible from the main commons area.
- Port Alberni Library will be closed July & August.
- Mixalakwila Library will be closed July & August. Students can call the campus to book computers.
- If you have any questions, please visit LLC website
- NIC Bookstores Summer Update. NIC campus bookstores are closed for the summer on June 18, 2021. They will reopen August 19, 2021. Students during this time can connect with the warehouse for their material needs by either calling 1-800-715-0914 ext. 4027 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
ONGOING SUPPORTS AND SERVICES
- NIC’s Career Central. The communities within and around our North Island College campuses offer an abundance of part time, full time, temporary, and permanent work opportunities through a diversity of employers and sectors. NIC’s CareerCentral is the place to find jobs specifically targeting NIC students and alumni, with new jobs being posted weekly, so be sure to keep CareerCentral on your radar as you explore employment.
- NIC Bookstore Update – Purchase your digital materials online! The NIC Bookstore is now offering electronic purchases for digital course materials. Visit the Bookstore page for details.
- Emergency Assistance Funds - Sometime emergencies happen that are outside of a student’s control or the best advance planning. NIC may be able to assist with financial support in the form of a bursary to help with emergencies. This funding does not need to be paid back and may be available to assist with books, transportation, childcare, supplies, groceries, and other essentials. Contact a financial aid advisor to find out more. Book online here.
- NIC Student Technical Services are available on Monday-Friday from 8 am to 5 pm to help you with any of your technology related questions. To book an appointment or to learn about the drop-in times visit the Student Technical Services website.
- North Island Students' Union is back with Virtual Office Hours. This is an opportunity to ask questions, receive swag, and build connections. To access the link, download the NISU app. Would you like a Student Planner? Available by mail, connect with your Students’ Union at email@example.com to learn more.
- Have a quick question? Email firstname.lastname@example.org an advisor will get back to you asap. Be sure to leave your student number, email and phone number with your request.
- NIC Library & Learning Commons is open for students to pick up holds and laptops, book study rooms, use the computers, and print. Visit https://library.nic.bc.ca/AboutUs/Hours/ to find out what hours your library is open. Research and Writing supports are available online every day. Find out more at library.nic.bc.ca.
- Book a Peer Tutor through the Library & Learning Commons! Tutors are available for Nursing, Business, English, Math, Science, Digital Design, Psychology, Spanish & study skills. Book your Peer Tutor online now!
- Learn Anywhere. NIC’s Learn Anywhere website is geared to provide a collection of information that will help you to be a successful digital learner by covering topics such as: What is digital learning? and How can I use NIC-supported technologies during your studies? Students can also access a list of key skills and knowledge all students should have for successful learning in today’s world, knowing your rights and responsibilities and Technology Readiness Checklists.
- Student Cook Book. Find college friendly recipes with tips and tricks to help you feel confident cooking and grocery shopping in this free digital Student Cook Book.
- 1 (7 oz.) can of white tuna packed in water, drained
- 2 TB mayo or Miracle Whip
- 1/3 tsp. dill
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (or red pepper flakes)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Whole wheat bread
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix tuna, sauce, dill, cayenne, and salt/pepper in a small bowl.
- Spread mixture over bread. Top with a slice of cheese.
- Place on a cookie sheet in the oven at 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Shayna Bedingfield
- NIC Student Life Facebook, Instagram & Discord –Connect with us on social to share what you are up to and stay in the loop with upcoming events and information. Go to the NIC Facebook pageand click on 'Groups.' Share on social how you’re taking care of yourself and tag NIC on Facebook and Instagram (@nicstudentlife) or send us an email at email@example.com and we will share on your behalf. Student Life also has a Discord channel under the NISU server. #WeAreNICe #Thrive #NICatHome #NICStudentLife
“Happiness is letting go of what you think your life is supposed to look like and celebrating it for everything that it is.”
– Mandy Hale
If there is information you'd like to see included in upcoming communications, or would like to share, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enjoy your week and stay well!
Student Life Team
If you wish to respond or have any questions, please click here.