IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES
- Mon, Aug 3, 2021: Fall Virtual Orientation Launches
- Mon, Aug 3 – Fri, Aug 6: Last week of classes for 14 week Spring intersession.
- Mon, Aug 9 – Sat, Aug 21: 14 week Spring intersession final exams.
- Mon, Aug 16 – Fri, Aug 20: Last week of classes for 7-week Summer term.
- Tues, Aug 17, 2021: Last day to pay fees for Fall Limited Entry Programs.
- Mon, Aug 23 – Sat, Aug 28: 7 week Summer term final exams.
UPCOMING IN THE COMMUNITY
- Fire Bans and Restrictions. The campfires, Category 2, and Category 3 open fires are banned throughout the province of British Columbia. This ban will remain in effect until noon on Oct. 15, 2021, or until the order is revoked. Learn more about current fire bans and restrictions here.
- COVID-19 Vaccination. The BC Government is encouraging all who are eligible to register for their COVID vaccine as soon as possible, this includes both domestic and international students. Visit the government website for information on eligibility and the registration process.
SUPPORTS AND SERVICES UPDATE
- Library & Learning Commons Summer Update.
- The Comox Valley Campus will remain open and staffed throughout the summer. NIC students will be able to access research, writing, math support and peer tutoring via BlueJeans, live chat, email, and phone.
- The Campbell River Library will be closed July & August. During that time, the Library group study rooms will remain open and accessible from the main commons area.
- Port Alberni Library will be closed July & August.
- Mixalakwila Campus Library will be closed July & August. Students can call the campus to book computers.
If you have any questions, please visit LLC website
- NIC Bookstores Summer Update. NIC campus bookstores are preparing to close for the summer on June 18, 2021. They will reopen August 19, 2021. Students during this time can connect with the warehouse for their material needs by either calling 1-800-715-0914 ext. 4027 or emailing email@example.com.
ONGOING SUPPORTS AND SERVICES
- NIC’s Career Central. The communities within and around our North Island College campuses offer an abundance of part time, full time, temporary, and permanent work opportunities through a diversity of employers and sectors. NIC’s CareerCentral is the place to find jobs specifically targeting NIC students and alumni, with new jobs being posted weekly, so be sure to keep CareerCentral on your radar as you explore employment.
- NIC Bookstore Update – Purchase your digital materials online! The NIC Bookstore is now offering electronic purchases for digital course materials. Visit the Bookstore page for details.
- Emergency Assistance Funds - Sometime emergencies happen that are outside of a student’s control or the best advance planning. NIC’s may be able to assist with financial support in the form of a bursary to help with emergencies. This funding does not need to be paid back and may be available to assist with books, transportation, childcare, supplies, groceries, and other essentials. Contact a financial aid advisor to find out more. Book online here.
- NIC Student Technical Services are available on Monday-Friday from 8 am to 5 pm to help you with any of your technology related questions. To book an appointment or to learn about the drop-in times visit the Student Technical Services website.
- North Island Students' Union is back with Virtual Office Hours. This is an opportunity to ask questions, receive swag, and build connections. To access the link, download the NISU app. Would you like a Student Planner? Available by mail, connect with your Students’ Union at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
- Have a quick question? Email email@example.com an advisor will get back to you asap. Be sure to leave your student number, email and phone number with your request.
- NIC Library & Learning Commons is open for students to pick up holds and laptops, book study rooms, use the computers, and print. Visit https://library.nic.bc.ca/AboutUs/Hours/ to find out what hours your library is open. Research and Writing supports are available online every day. Find out more at library.nic.bc.ca.
- Book a Peer Tutor through the Library & Learning Commons! Tutors are available for Nursing, Business, English, Math, Science, Digital Design, Psychology, Spanish & study skills. Book your Peer Tutor online now!
- Learn Anywhere. NIC’s Learn Anywhere website is geared to provide a collection of information that will help you to be a successful digital learner by covering topics such as: What is digital learning? and How can I use NIC-supported technologies during your studies? Students can also access a list of key skills and knowledge all students should have for successful learning in today’s world, knowing your rights and responsibilities and Technology Readiness Checklists.
GRATEFUL & THANKFUL
- Has an NIC instructor or staff member made a difference in your life as a student? Perhaps someone’s expertise, support or kindness has made all the difference to your success, or maybe just made you smile. If you would like to recognize the contribution of an instructor or staff member, fill out our recognition form. We will send the nominee a thank you on your behalf including your comment(s). Please note – you will remain anonymous.
STUDENTS OF NIC CAMPAIGN
- Do you or does a friend have a story worth sharing with others about their journey to North Island College? We would like to invite you to participate in our Students of NIC Campaign. Examples of previous students who have participated can be accessed here.
The purpose of this campaign is to share authentic stories of students and their journey to NIC in their own words. Normally, we would do this with an interview, which can be set up through BlueJeans. Another option would be for you to write your story out and send it to us via email. We would then share your story on NIC's Facebook and Instagram pages. If you have any questions or are interested in participating, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Student Cook Book. Find college friendly recipes with tips and tricks to help you feel confident cooking and grocery shopping in this free digital Student Cook Book.
Broccoli Chickpea Stir-Fry
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 ½ heads broccoli, including stalks, trimmed and chopped (2 cups)
- 1 (10.5 oz.) can chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1/3 C chicken or vegetable broth
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1/3 C parmesan cheese (grated or shaved)
- In a large skillet (preferably one with a lid), warm olive oil over medium heat until hot. Carefully add onion, garlic, and salt. Sautee, stirring often, until onion becomes transparent and garlic just begins to turn golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Toss in chopped broccoli. Sautee for 3 minutes. Add chickpeas, broth, and red pepper. Stir once, cover, and cook for 3-9 minutes more. Cooking time will depend on how soft you like your broccoli.
- Uncover, season with pepper, sprinkle with parmesan, and serve! Enjoy this spicy dish. The textures of the broccoli and chickpea complement each other well.
Recipe courtesy of myrecipe.com
- NIC Student Life Facebook, Instagram & Discord –Connect with us on social to share what you are up to and stay in the loop with upcoming events and information. Go to the NIC Facebook pageand click on 'Groups.' Share on social how you’re taking care of yourself and tag NIC on Facebook and Instagram (@nicstudentlife) or send us an email at email@example.com and we will share on your behalf. Student Life also has a Discord channel under the NISU server. #WeAreNICe #Thrive #NICatHome #NICStudentLife
“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”
– Rikki Rogers
If there is information you'd like to see included in upcoming communications, or would like to share, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enjoy your week and stay well!
Student Life Team
If you wish to respond or have any questions, please click here.