Saturday, Aug. 13 – National Left Handers Day
Tuesday, Aug. 16 – Last day to pay fees for fall limited entry programs
EVENTS & INITIATIVES
2022 Fall Orientation – Save the Dates!
The Student Life Team is excited to share that in-person student orientation is back! There will be food, swag and a marketplace.
Comox Valley and Campbell River campuses: Tuesday, Sept. 6 and Wednesday, Sept. 7 — 11 am to 1 pm
Port Alberni campus: Tuesday, Sept. 6 and Tuesday, Sept. 13 (Main campus, Roger Street) — 11 am to 1 pm; and Wednesday, Sept. 7 (Tebo Vocational Centre) — 11 am to 1 pm
Mixalakwila campus: Dates to be confirmed
4 tips for staying cool in the heat:
- Drink lots of water. If you don’t enjoy the taste, try adding lemon or drink flavoured water
- Wear light, breathable clothing such as cotton or linen to promote airflow
- Avoid heavy meals rich in carbohydrates and fats as these generate heat in the body
- Exercise outdoors in the morning or evening to avoid the heat of the day between 11 am and 2 pm
Campus Life Assistants
Would you like to work with Student Life to develop projects, plan events or create posts for social media? Do you want to gain valuable experience that you can add to your resume? NIC Student Life is looking to hire Campus Life Assistants. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.
This is a great way to make use of seasonal produce you can find at local farm stands.
· ½ head of green or purple cabbage
· 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
· 4 carrots
· 1 Tablespoon plain yogurt
· 1 bell pepper
· 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
· ½ onion
· ½ cup raisins
· Salt to taste
· (Optional: 1 teaspoon poppy seeds)
- Place the first 4 ingredients (cabbage, carrots, bell pepper, onion) in a food processor and pulse using the shred blade. Alternatively, you can use a hand grater or large knife for the veggies.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl, stir and serve.
This is a great dish to bring on a picnic and leftovers can be chilled in the fridge for lunch the next day.
NIC SUPPORTS & SERVICES
Contact NIC’s Early Assist for personal or academic campus and community supports.
- Support services include: emergency financial aid, indigenous supports, counselling, accommodation for disability and much more.
- Email: email@example.com to reach out.
- If there is an emergency or it is outside regular office hours, call 911 or the Vancouver Island Crisis Line at 1-888-494-3888. You can also visit Here2Talk.
- The NIC Library and Learning Commons at the Campbell River and Port Alberni campuses will close on Thursday, June 30 and re-open on August 28. The Comox Valley Library and Learning Commons will stay open for the summer; Mon-Fri, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. Academic supports are available in person at CV or book online. Visit the LLC website for more information.
GRATEFUL & THANKFUL
Has an NIC instructor or staff member made a difference in your life as a student? If you would like to recognize someone’s expertise, support, or kindness that contributed to your success, please fill out our recognition form. We will send the nominee an anonymous thank you on your behalf including your comment(s). We have received some wonderful messages which is proof that kindness counts.
Please keep in touch with us over the summer at: firstname.lastname@example.org or our NIC Student Life Facebook or Instagram page. We welcome your feedback!
Lela Kulesh, Rachel Birch, Mez Jiwaji - your Student Life team