IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES
Thursday, March 31 – Artist Talk: Comox Valley Art Gallery
Tuesday, April 5 – Consent and Sexual Violence Training
Wednesday, April 6 – Spring Celebration – Comox Valley Campus
Thursday, April 7 - Spring Celebration – Port Alberni Campus
Saturday, April 9 - Friday, April 22 — Winter final exams
Wednesday, April 13 - Spring Celebration – Campbell River Campus
Wednesday, April 27 - NIC Foundation Awards — Application Deadline
- Artist Talk: Comox Valley Art Gallery – Dedicated to presenting and fostering contemporary art by professional artists from the region, the country and beyond.
- Consent and Sexual Violence: Tuesday, April 5 - Preventing & Responding to Sexual Violence Workshops. The Consent & Sexual Violence workshop is presented by NIC. This two-hour workshop is free for all NIC students. This training explores different understandings of consent, including the legal definition. Learners have the opportunity to develop skills related to asking for and giving consent in all relationships as well as discuss strategies for creating a “culture of consent” in campus communities. Email email@example.com for more information, to register and receive the link.
- Spring Celebration! NIC Leadership Team and NISU are excited to invite students and employees to our SPRING Celebration! Spring is here and it is time to celebrate all the hard work and dedication of our NIC community members. Students and employees in Port Alberni, Comox Valley and Campbell River are invited to join and celebrate! Please join us at:
- Comox Valley Campus (outside Tyee), April 6th, 11:30 am-1:30 pm
- Port Alberni Campus (Roger St cafeteria), April 7th, 11:30 am-1:00 pm
- Campbell River Campus (student commons), April 13th,11:30 am-1:30 pm
Also, share your favourite spring or celebration song for a chance to win prizes! Email your choice to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need Money for College? NIC Foundation Awards Application is open now. Not sure if you are going to apply to the Foundation Awards program this year? We can give you ten reasons why you should! Our goal is to make the process simple and smooth for students; only one application is needed to be considered for hundreds of awards. 85% of our applicants get supported each year – that’s a high ratio of success to effort. Whether you are entering, continuing or graduating, full-time or part-time, in any program area (short-term vocational too), we have an award for you! Speak with Jenni Osborne, NIC Foundation’s Awards Officer, to learn more about how one, easy, online application can represent thousands of dollars in financial support – and you don’t have to pay it back! Join us on April 12 from 12-1 pm. to learn more. Email email@example.com to register.
- FREE Comox Valley Weekly Sports Night continues every Thursday from 6-7:15 pm until April 21 (except on Mar. 24 and 31) at École Au coeur de l'île School Gym -566 Linshart Rd, Comox. Join us for a weekly game of indoor soccer, basketball or volleyball. Players are asked to enter through the school's main doors and proceed with a mask on to the gym at the end of the hallway. The coordinator will check for proof of vaccination at the gym entry doors each week. All players are asked to self-screen for COVID symptoms and stay home if there feel unwell. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.
- Enter for a chance to win a $100 Visa gift card by taking 10 minutes to complete our survey and share your feedback with us. Your answers will help us learn more about your learning experiences, what student supports are helpful to you, and how we can enhance your NIC experience. The survey is open until April 8 and can be found here: https://www.surveymonkey.ca/r/2022_Student_Learning_and_Support
NIC SUPPORTS & SERVICES
- Academic Supports at LLC. Reach your goals this semester with help from our outstanding academic supports—available both in-person and online!
- Research Support Learn to build effective search strategies, choose and evaluate resources, cite, and avoid plagiarism.
- Writing Support Work one-on-one with NIC faculty to develop your writing skills and receive feedback on your writing assignments.
- Math Support Spend time working on all levels of math problems with support from NIC math faculty.
- Peer Tutoring Discover new approaches to studying and writing, learning from highly trained NIC peer tutors.
- Student Technical Services Helping students understand and utilize technologies to support their studies.
- Register in a variety of workshops Improve your research, writing, math, and tech skills.
- Library & Learning Commons. Come visit the LLC this semester for a quiet place to work, to access academic supports, or to just sit back and take a break. At the LLC you can:
- Emergency Assistance Funds - Sometimes emergencies happen that are outside of a student’s control or the best planning. NIC may be able to assist with financial support in the form of a bursary to help with emergencies. This funding does not need to be paid back and may be available to assist with books, transportation, childcare, supplies, groceries, and other essentials. Contact a financial aid advisor to find out more. Book online here.
IN OUR COMMUNITIES
- NIC Spring Soccer Team - Dust off your cleats and stretch your quads - the NIC Spring Soccer Team needs you! We’ve registered a NIC team for the Comox Valley Sports and Social Club Spring outdoor soccer season. Games are on Thursday evenings (between 6-9 pm) at either Queeneesh Elementary, Highland Secondary or Vanier starting April 14th and ending in June. Games are 6 v 6. * Deadline to join the team roster: Friday, March 25. If you are interested in playing or have any questions, please contact Danielle: Danielle.email@example.com
How to Sleep Better – check out this link for strategies for a night of better sleep.
“Sleep is the best meditation.” – Dalai Lama
If there is information you'd like to see included in upcoming communications, or would like to share, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Life Team
If you wish to respond or have any questions, please click here.