Monday, May 30 – Spring GoByBike week begins
Wed, June 1 – Student Aid BC applications open
Friday, June 3 - World Bicycle Day
Tuesday, June 7 – World Food Safety Day
EVENTS & INITIATIVES
- NIC is celebrating GoByBike Week, May 30 - June 5
NIC has teams at each campus! Register now at gobybike.ca, join the NIC team in your community and start tracking your kilometers biked to see how many kilograms of greenhouse gases you save. Participation is free, fun, helps you stay fit and healthy, and it’s great for the environment! …and, you can win great prizes! #gobybikebc
Getting around on smaller wheels like scooters and rollerblades, taking the bus part way, carpooling halfway, or using a car for a portion of a long commute all count! #AnyRideCounts
- Student Loan applications open June 1st
Q: Who can apply for a student loan?
A: Student Aid BC loans are available for full-time and part-time students. Click here for a list of programs that qualify. You may also be eligible for grants, scholarships, and other financial support. Your personal situation might entitle you to access other forms of funding, including that for students with disabilities or for former youth in care.
Q: What services does StudentAidBC offer?
A: It’s a one-stop-shop for information on financial supports available to students from BC from both the provincial and federal governments. It includes cost calculators, application forms and help as well as information on maintaining and repaying a student loan.
Q: How can I apply?
A: Starting June 1st visit StudentAidBC or email firstname.lastname@example.org to help.
- Friday, June 7th is World Food Safety Day
Check out this UN website article about what Food Safety means and why it’s important.
NIC recognizes the rising need for food security in our communities, so we have been researching where to access food locally. Did you know that currently free snacks are available to NIC Students at places such as Student Services, the Library and NISU offices? Here are a few initiatives in each NIC campus location:
- Mixalakwila (Port Hardy) region: Island Food Hubs
- Strathcona Regional District (Campbell River): Greenways Land Trust Food Security projects
- Comox Valley region: Lush Valley Food Share program
- Alberni Valley region (Port Alberni): Alberni Valley Food Hub
- NIC course Registration for Fall & Winter courses is now open
If you are thinking of registering for a program or course at NIC, don’t delay – register today! New and continuing students can now register so either login to your myNIC account or book an appointment with an educational advisor to plan and register for classes.
- Career Central is here to help you find summer employment
Check out the NIC Student Employment Services webpage for hundreds of job postings. They can also help with resume writing and interview skills. Log in to CareerCentral for more information.
- Volunteer for Vancouver Island Music Fest and gain valuable experience
Are you looking for a fun way to add volunteer experience to your resume? Check out this opportunity to volunteer for a local music festival, Vancouver Island Music Fest In return for 16 hours of work, you will receive a free weekend pass to the festival, meals, free camping at the exhibition grounds and training.
NIC SUPPORTS & SERVICES
- Contact NIC’s Early Assist for personal or academic campus and community supports
Support services include: emergency financial aid, Indigenous supports, advocacy, counselling, accommodation for a disability, community resources and much more. Email email@example.com or visit Here2Talk. In the case of an emergency, call 911 or the Vancouver Island Crisis Line 1-888-494-3888. Or visit Here2Talk.
- NIC’s LLC (Library and Learning Commons) has free Academic Support
Click on the links below to find out more about in-person and online services.
The LLC provides is a quiet place to work, look up resources or take a break. You can borrow a laptop, book a room, and even print & scan documents.
GRATEFUL & THANKFUL
- Has an NIC instructor or staff member made a difference in your life as a student? Perhaps someone’s expertise, support, or kindness contributed to your success, or just made you smile. If you would like to recognize an NIC instructor or staff member, please fill out our recognition form. We will send the nominee an anonymous thank you on your behalf including your comment(s).
"The least amount of judging we can do, the better off we are." - Michael J. Fox
If there is information you would like to see included in upcoming publications, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lela Kulesh and Your Student Life Team