IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES
- Wednesday, Nov. 10 – Friday, Nov. 12: Fall Reading Break
- Thursday, Nov. 11: Remembrance Day – College Closed
- Monday, Nov. 29 – Friday, Dec. 3: Last week of classes
- Wednesday, Dec. 1: Opt-out period for NISU Health & Dental Benefits for 2022 Winter term
- Monday, Dec. 6 – Thursday, Dec. 16: Fall Final Exams
- Monday, Dec. 27 – Monday, Jan. 3: College Closed
- Work Smart, Not Hard. Join fourth-year nursing students at a drop-in event at the Comox Valley Library. The theme is to work smart, not hard, with the bonus of information on the importance of self-care. Drop by with some of your study and self-care tips and spin the wheel for prizes. Event will take place on Tuesday, Nov. 9 from 1-4 pm PDT at the Comox Valley Library. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- Brave Spaces Discussion: Unconscious Bias. Join Student Life and a team of panelists made up of NIC students and instructors on Wednesday, Nov. 17 from 12-1:30 pm PDT for a Braves Spaces discussion on unconscious bias to explore its impacts on individuals and communities and discover ways to become more aware of and tackle our own unconscious biases. To register for the event, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Library & Learning Commons Workshops. Citation workshops running every week! Learn how to form and incorporate your citations and build your bibliography. We’ll also cover formatting your paper in APA or MLA style. Register online here.
- November is Financial Literacy Month! Do you have an RESP (Registered Education Savings Plan)? Do you know what is it or how to access the money? A Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) is a savings account for education after high school. Learn about taking money out of your RESP. To learn more, or to ask any of your financial questions, book a Financial Aid Advising appointment here. It is never too early to learn healthy financial habits.
IN OUR COMMUNITIES
- Parking at Comox Valley Aquatic Centre. There have been recent reports from patrons of the Comox Valley Aquatic Centre of individuals parking their cars in the Aquatic Centre’s parking lot and then walking towards the NIC campus. A friendly reminder that the parking lot at the Aquatic Centre is for their patrons and is not student-designated parking. Starting Nov. 15, they will be towing vehicles if not using the aquatics facility. You can see a map of the Comox Valley campus and NIC parking lots here.
- COVID-19 Vaccination. The BC Government is encouraging all who are eligible to register for their COVID vaccine as soon as possible, this includes both domestic and international students. Visit the government website for information on eligibility and the registration process.
- COVID-19 Restrictions. You can view the latest public health orders here. Masks in public indoor settings are now mandatory – this includes NIC campus buildings.
NIC SUPPORTS & SERVICES UPDATES
- Library & Learning Commons. With assignments coming due, book your research appointment at any of your campus libraries. Whether it’s help with finding sources or citing, we’re here to help! Book today. The Comox Valley Library & Learning Commons has increased face-to-face Writing Support and virtual hours on Wednesdays! Book your appointment here. Math Support has transitioned to online for the next couple of weeks. Book your drop-in or one-on-one appointment here.
- Thriving in Action Weekly Workbook. Each week of the academic year comes with its own unique challenges. The Thriving in Action Weekly Workbook was designed to provide you with at least one exercise that has proven to be effective in increasing life satisfaction, happiness, and resilience. Download the Student Weekly Workbook here.
“Motivation gets you going, but discipline keeps you growing.”
– John C. Maxwell
If there is information you'd like to see included in upcoming communications, or would like to share, please let us know at email@example.com.
Enjoy your week and stay well!
Student Life Team
If you wish to respond or have any questions, please click here.