IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES
- Monday, Nov. 29 – Friday, Dec. 3: Last week of classes.
- Wednesday, Dec. 1: Opt-out period for NISU Health & Dental Benefits for 2022 Winter term.
- Monday, Dec. 6 – Thursday, Dec. 16: Fall Final Exams
- Monday, Dec. 27 – Monday, Jan. 3: College Closed.
- Brave Spaces Discussion: Unconscious Bias. Join Student Life and a team of panellists made up of NIC students and instructors on Wednesday, Nov. 17 from 12-1:30 pm PDT for a Braves Spaces discussion on unconscious bias to explore its impacts on individuals and communities and discover ways to become more aware of and tackle our own unconscious biases. To register for the event, email email@example.com. The Library & Learning Commons has also put together resources to help learn more about the topic of unconscious bias.
- NIC International Education Week. Join NIC’s International Education team for a series of live and virtual events between Nov 15-19. Meet students from around the world, hear from NIC students who have studied abroad and learn how to plan your own international education journey — whether you are a student, staff member or faculty. See the full schedule and learn more here.
- Library & Learning Commons Workshops. Citation workshops running every week! Learn how to form and incorporate your citations and build your bibliography. We’ll also cover formatting your paper in APA or MLA style. Register online here.
- Welcome to the Library! Join us in the Campbell River Library computer lab on Nov.18 from 10-10:30 am as part of NIC International Education Week. Check out our new Welcome sign in fifteen different languages, learn about the services and resources the Library has to offer and enjoy some beverages and goodies. The library is truly a place for everyone — we look forward to seeing you!
- November is Financial Literacy Month! As you are probably aware, going to college or university is a big investment. Beyond tuition fees, there are a handful of other expenses to consider during your time in post-secondary. You can book a meeting with a financial aid advisor to help create a budget and plan financially for upcoming terms. NIC also has emergency assistance funds and may be able to provide financial support in the form of bursaries to students dealing with emergencies, particularly those that would prevent a student from completing their studies.
IN OUR COMMUNITIES
- Parking at Comox Valley Aquatic Centre. There have been recent reports from patrons of the Comox Valley Aquatic Centre of individuals parking their cars in the Aquatic Centre’s parking lot and then walking towards the NIC campus. A friendly reminder that the parking lot at the Aquatic Centre is for their patrons and is not student-designated parking. Starting Nov. 15, they will be towing vehicles if not using the aquatics facility. You can see a map of the Comox Valley campus and NIC parking lots here.
- COVID-19 Vaccination. The BC Government is encouraging all who are eligible to register for their COVID vaccine as soon as possible, this includes both domestic and international students. Visit the government website for information on eligibility and the registration process.
- COVID-19 Restrictions. You can view the latest public health orders here. Masks in public indoor settings are now mandatory – this includes NIC campus buildings.
NIC SUPPORTS & SERVICES UPDATES
- Library & Learning Commons. With assignments coming due, book your research appointment at any of your campus libraries. Whether you are looking for help with finding sources or with citing, we are here to help! Book today. The Comox Valley Library & Learning Commons has increased face-to-face Writing Support and virtual hours on Wednesdays! Book your appointment here. Math Support has transitioned to online for the next couple of weeks. Book your drop-in or one-on-one appointment here.
- Thriving in Action Weekly Workbook. Each week of the academic year comes with its own unique challenges. The Thriving in Action Weekly Workbook was designed to provide you with at least one exercise that has proven to be effective in increasing life satisfaction, happiness, and resilience. Download the Student Weekly Workbook here.
“When you get tired, learn to rest, not quit.”
If there is information you'd like to see included in upcoming communications, or would like to share, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enjoy your week and stay well!
Student Life Team
If you wish to respond or have any questions, please click here.