IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES
- Friday, Oct. 29: Last day to withdraw without academic penalty.
- October Thrive Month. Throughout the month of October, we’ll be holding a series of events and highlighting supports and services available at NIC to support your success. To register, email email@example.com.
- Beyond the Blues – Monday, Oct. 18/ 1-3 pm: Drop by Tyee Hall (CV) and Student Commons (CR) and learn more about mental health.
- Treat Tuesday – Tuesday, Oct. 19 / All Day: Treats and bookmarks handed out each Tuesday!
- Students Town Hall Meeting with NIC President Dr. Lisa Domae – Wednesday, Oct. 20/ 12-1 pm
- Anxiety – Thursday, Oct. 21 / 12-1 pm: Learn how to quiet a busy mind.
- Plus, many more! A full list of campus-specific events and activities can be found on the Thrive webpage.
- Brave Spaces Discussion: Unconscious Bias. Join Student Life and a team of panellists made up of NIC students, NIC employees and community members on Wed, Nov 17th from 12:00 – 1:30 pm PDT for a Braves Spaces discussion on unconscious bias to explore its impacts on individuals and communities and discover ways to become more aware of and tackle our own unconscious biases. If you would like to be a student on the panel, or to register for the event, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hiring Library Student Assistants. The Comox Valley Library & Learning Commons is seeking multiple part-time Library Student Assistants to begin immediately. Duties include shelving, checking out and returning library materials, and providing general library support. Apply online at CareerCentral.
- Big Brothers & Big Sisters. The In-School Mentoring Program through Big Brothers & Sisters is seeking mentors for children & youth in elementary school. Mentors serve as role models, teach by example the importance of giving and giving back, of staying in school, and of having respect for family, peers, and community. To learn more about this volunteer opportunity, please email email@example.com.
IN OUR COMMUNITIES
- COVID-19 Vaccination. The BC Government is encouraging all who are eligible to register for their COVID vaccine as soon as possible, this includes both domestic and international students. Visit the government website for information on eligibility and the registration process.
- COVID-19 Restrictions. You can view the latest public health orders here. Masks in public indoor settings are now mandatory – this includes NIC campus buildings.
- Comox Sports Nights. NIC Students have access to FREE Sport Drop-In nights at Ecole au Coeur-de-l'Ile at 566 Linshart Rd. in Comox. See below for more details:
Dates: Fall session is 8 nights, including Oct. 6, 13, 20, 27, Nov. 3, 10, 17, 24 and Dec. 1. (Nothing on Nov. 11 for Remembrance Day). Then winter session starts in January.
Times: 6:00-7:15 p.m. (Vaccine check-in set up at 5:45pm)
Location: Ecole au Coeur-de-l'Ile at 566 Linshart Rd. in Comox.
Sports: We'll rotate between Indoor Soccer on odd-numbered weeks (weeks 1, 3, 5 and 7) and a mix of Basketball and Volleyball on even-numbered weeks (2, 4, 6 and 8).
Proof of Vaccination and Access to Gyms: Players enter through the school's main doors and proceed with a mask on to the gym at the end of the hallway. The coordinator will check for proof of vaccination at the gym entry doors each week. No masks are needed once in the gym and then it's off to play. All players are asked to self-screen for COVID symptoms and stay home if there are any. Here is a sample checklist: https://comoxvalleysports.ca/news/covid-19-screening-checklist/.
NIC SUPPORTS & SERVICES UPDATES
- Extended Hours & Supports – CV Library & Learning Commons. The Comox Valley Library & Learning Commons has extended their hours to Monday to Thursday from 8:00 am – 8:00 pm and Fridays from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm. In addition, there is increased face-to-face Writing Support and virtual hours on Wednesdays! See Writing Support hours and book in to see us here. Math Support has a slightly different schedule this week. You can see the schedule here.
- Student Technical Services Drop-In. Drop-In sessions are available to get help with Blackboard Learn or any technology-based questions Monday-Friday from 10-11 am and again from 3-4 pm. To learn more and to join drop-in sessions, visit the Student Technical Services calendar here.
- Thriving in Action Weekly Workbook. Each week of the academic year comes with its own unique challenges. The Thriving in Action Weekly Workbook was designed to provide you with at least one exercise that has proven to be effective in increasing life satisfaction, happiness, and resilience. Download the Student Weekly Workbook here.
“The best part of life is not just surviving, but thriving with passion, compassion, humour, style, generosity and kindness”
– Maya Angelou
If there is information you'd like to see included in upcoming communications, or would like to share, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enjoy your week and stay well!
Student Life Team
If you wish to respond or have any questions, please click here.