Monday, September 19 – NIC closed for National Day of Mourning for Queen Elizabeth II
Friday, September 30 – NIC closed for National Day for Truth and Reconciliation
Friday, September 30 – Last day to opt-out of NISU Health & Dental Benefits
EVENTS & INITIATIVES
National Day of Mourning for Queen Elizabeth II
On Monday September 19, NIC be closed to observe the one-time holiday declared by both Prime Minister Trudeau and Premier Horgan to honour the memory of Queen Elizabeth II. As directed by the provincial government, all NIC locations will be closed and all classes will be cancelled on September 19, 2022. For more information, please see the statement posted by the Office of the Premier.
NIC 2022 Student Orientation
We are so happy to have been able to interact with so many students at the Port Alberni, Comox Valley and Campbell River campuses during student orientation events. We have one more event coming up on October 4 at the Mixalakwila campus. Please click here to take a quick survey and give us your feedback on the events so far.
Bike to Work Week
GoByBike weeks are coming up this fall: October 3-16. NIC has teams at each campus and participation is free. This year’s theme is #AnyRideCounts including walking, cycling, taking the bus or carpooling. Join the NIC team and see how many kilograms of greenhouse gas emission you save.
NIC Community Engagement Strategy
NIC is creating a Community Engagement Strategy and we want to hear from you! As a college that aims to be at the heart of civic conversations and to offer student community connected learning, how is NIC doing? What is working well? What isn’t working well? What are opportunities for community engagement? Please visit NIC Community Engagement and fill out the survey to provide your input and perspectives. For more information on NIC Community Engagement please visit: nic.bc.ca/about-us/community-engagement/ or contact Danielle Hoogland, community engagement liaison, at Danielle.Hoogland@nic.bc.ca.
CARTI Work Opportunities
NIC’s Centre for Applied Research, Technology & Innovation is hiring multiple students to work at the Campbell River campus:
- Develop professional skills
- Multiple paid positions available
- Flexible hours
- No research experience necessary
Apply ASAP by emailing email@example.com.
Campus Life Assistants
Would you like to work with Student Life to develop projects, plan events or create posts for social media? Do you want to gain valuable experience that you can add to your resume? NIC Student Life is looking to hire Campus Life Assistants. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.
Looking for work on campus? The Library & Learning Commons is looking for student assistants at the Campbell River and Port Alberni campuses. Visit Career Central for more information and to submit your resume.
Instead of offering meal ideas this week, here are a few healthy snack options to grab while you are on the go or to munch on while studying.
- Bananas – high in vitamins and minerals with enough natural sugar to give you an energy boost
- Carrots – so tasty when locally grown and they help keep your eyes healthy
- Nuts – also a great source of nutrients that will keep you going longer
- Popcorn – make your own or buy ready-made in a bag. You can also add some fun toppings like dill pickle or cheese for more flavour
NIC SUPPORTS & SERVICES
Contact NIC’s Early Assist (email@example.com) for personal or academic campus and community supports.
For emergencies call 911 or the Vancouver Island Crisis Line at 1-888-494-3888. You can also visit Here2Talk.
Support services include: emergency financial aid, Indigenous supports, counselling, accommodations for disability and much more.
The Library & Learning Commons (LLC) is your perfect spot to borrow a laptop, print a document or just say hi!
Academic Supports at LLC
- Research Support. Learn to build effective search strategies, choose, and evaluate resources, cite and avoid plagiarism.
- Writing Support. Work one-on-one with NIC faculty to develop your writing skills and receive feedback on your writing assignments.
- Math Support. Spend time working on all levels of math problems with support from NIC math faculty.
- Peer Tutoring. Discover new approaches to studying and learning from highly trained NIC peer tutors.
- Student Technical Services. Helping students understand and utilize technologies to support their studies.
GRATEFUL & THANKFUL
Has an NIC instructor or staff member made a difference in your life as a student? If you would like to recognize someone’s expertise, support, or kindness that contributed to your success, please fill out our recognition form. We will send the nominee an anonymous thank you on your behalf including your comment(s). We have received some wonderful messages, which is proof that kindness counts.
Please keep in touch with us over the summer at: firstname.lastname@example.org or our NIC Student Life Facebook or Instagram page. We welcome your feedback!
Lela Kulesh, Rachel Birch, Mez Jiwaji - your Student Life team