Sexualized Violence

We're here to help

What is Sexual Violence & Misconduct?

Sexual violence and misconduct includes any sexual act or act targeting a person’s sexuality, whether the act is physical or psychological in nature, threatened or attempted against a person without the person's consent.

At NIC, we are committed to creating a safe and inclusive environment, free from sexual violence and misconduct. If you, or someone you know has experienced sexual assault, know that it is not your fault and that there are options available for you. If you notice suspicious activity or are worried for your personal safety, seek help. Most importantly, trust your instincts. If something doesn’t seem right, it probably isn’t.

Help is Available

Talk to an NIC counsellor. Students who have experienced sexual violence and/or misconduct can contact NIC’s professionally trained counsellors in person or at 1-800-715-0914 for support. They will prioritize your needs and wishes to ensure you get the support you choose. Services are confidential, free of charge, and are provided in a supportive and inclusive space.

Get medical help. If you have been sexually assaulted or experienced intentional violence, head to your nearest hospital emergency as soon as possible. You may require emergency medical services. If you want to make a police report and/or are feeling unsafe please call 911.

Report to the police. The police will connect you with Victim Services, provide you with protection options, collect evidence, and begin a criminal investigation.

Listen. Believe. Empower. If someone discloses to you that they have experienced sexual violence or misconduct, you may feel uncomfortable and overwhelmed. That is completely normal. You want to support them and help them through this traumatic experience but you may not know how. Contact Counselling Services. They can provide you immediate support and identify resources outside the college that are available to you.

NIC's policy on Sexual Violence and Misconduct

Contact numbers

NIC Counselling Services: 1-800-715-0914

Student Affairs: 250-724-8704

Campus Security

  • Campbell River: 250-202-5941
  • Comox Valley: 250-334-7206
  • Port Alberni: 250-735-0626
  • Port Hardy: 250-949-8858

What is Consent?

Consent is an active, direct, voluntary and conscious choice and agreement to engage in sexual activity. Before you engage in any sexual activity, including the taking, providing and sharing of intimate photos:

Ask. Are you okay with this? Do you want to stop?

Listen. Listen to their answer. This includes body language such as not responding to your touch, pushing you away or hiding their face.

Respect. Don’t pressure someone if they are not ready. Always make sure your partner is comfortable with your actions.

The only way to know for sure that the person you’re with has given their consent is if they tell you. More specifically, consent:

  • is enthusiastic, freely given and can be revoked at any time;
  • must be given before and during all sexual activity, even if consent has been given before;
  • cannot be given by an individual incapacitated by alcohol, drugs or some other reason and/or who is unconscious or otherwise incapable of providing consent;
  • cannot be given in response to coercion or when a position of power or authority is used; and
  • cannot be implied or assumed.

Watch the video, Consent. It's Simple as Tea:

NIC is committed to providing all members of the college community a safe and secure environment, free from all forms of misconduct.

What Happens Next?

We are committed to providing a safe, welcoming environment that is free from sexual violence and misconduct. When you come to us for support you can expect to:

  • be treated with compassion, dignity and respect;
  • be provided with timely safety planning assistance;
  • be informed about on and off campus support services and resources;
  • be provided with non-judgmental and empathetic support;
  • be provided with academic accommodation as appropriate;
  • be respected as you choose whether, and to whom, you wish to report your experience; and
  • be the integral decision-maker in situations pertaining to you.

If you or someone you know has experienced sexual violence, talk to a college counsellor. We will provide support services and accommodations in a safe, secure environment that respects your unique needs. Whether you choose to report your experience as an actionable or non-actionable complaint, we will help you get the support you need. Your options include:


  • Disclose your experience anonymously to an NIC counsellor without requesting an investigation, and/or
  • Report your experience anonymously with law enforcement through a third party arrangement or personally.
  • All reports will result in support for the complainant and will anonymously be recorded as an incident. No identifying information will be reported.


  • Disclose your experience to an NIC counsellor and ask that NIC initiate an investigation, and/or
  • Report your experience directly with law enforcement and to an NIC counsellor.
  • All reports will result in support for the complainant and will anonymously be recorded as an incident. No identifying information will be reported.
  • The Director of Student Affairs will authorize an investigation which, depending on the nature of the complaint, could result in sanctions for the accused.

Community Resources

Vancouver Island Crisis Line is available to anyone, anytime, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for risk management triage, support and referral. This contracted service maintains a database of support services available throughout Vancouver Island.

VictimBC is a toll-free, confidential, multilingual telephone service available across B.C. and the Yukon 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-563-0808. It provides information and referral services to all victims of crime and immediate crisis support to victims of family and sexual violence, including victims of human trafficking exploited for labour or sexual services.