This year, we will be holding a virtual orientation which will include a series of online modules, videos and live webinars to deliver all the information you need for a successful transition to NIC.
Please note, all webinar start times are in NIC’s local time zone: Pacific Daylight Time
There are two different options for students to connect digitally with advising for drop-in sessions, which is in addition to the scheduled advising appointments. On Tuesday (1-3pm) Aboriginal Education hosts a Virtual Student Lounge with opportunities to meet informally with Advisors and Elders. There is also drop-in educational and financial Aid advising on Thursday (1-3pm). Information about how to join is available by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. For more information, go to drop-in advising
From August 4, visit this site to access exciting and informative sessions and win prizes. Sessions will cover a wide range of topics, including:
- Virtual campus tours
- COVID 19 information and safety protocols
- Scheduling and registration
- Academic integrity
- Academic and personal supports
- Student Rights and Responsibilities
- Healthy Relationships
- Student Life and opportunities for getting involved
- North Island Students’ Union (NISU)
- Information on local businesses and services (including discounts and special offers for NIC students)
Learning Digitally: Student Orientation to NIC Learning Technologies
A webinar called Learning Digitally: Student Orientation to NIC Learning Technologies has been designed for incoming NIC students. Led by NIC’s Student Technical Services team, this live session will provide you with an overview of the learning platforms and tools you’ll need for your digital classes, along with some tips for learning digitally at NIC. All four webinars are identical so you only need to attend one.
- August 11, 1-2:30 pm (PDT) registration link coming soon
- August 17, 2-3:30 pm (PDT) registration link coming soon
- can't make the live session? View recording
Tips for Connecting
- If computer connection is not possible you can dial in from a phone: 1.778.807.4955 (toll-free from within Canada) or 1.866.599.3622 (toll-free from outside of Canada) - enter the meeting ID (first 9 digits of URL) and passcode (last four digits) followed by #
- Help: See BlueJeans Support Site: https://support.bluejeans.com/s/
- BlueJeans App for Best Connectivity: BlueJeans App with a short download/install at: https://www.bluejeans.com/downloads
- Tips for Better Audio and Video: Be on a wired connection, close all other programs/apps on your computer using the Internet, have others in house pause streaming services (e.g., Netflix) or gaming programs, schedule meetings at off-peak times, turn off your video and just have an audio-only call etc. – so that the best Internet connection can be used
You’ll need a headset with a microphone or a webcam/with microphone and speakers. Or you can join using your mobile phone (but be aware of data charges incurred by your service provider). You can also join a meeting by using a phone number to dial in with the meeting ID. You do not need to have a video camera, but you do need at least a way to join via audio (phone or microphone on computer/cell phone). More on System Requirements
For Parents and Supporters:
Are you the parent or guardian of a new or returning NIC student? A family's experience may be different to that of a student - it's an experience with its own questions, concerns and anticipations. At NIC, we want parents/guardians to have the information you need to support students in making important academic and life choices. Join members of NIC student services, and let us help answer your questions and provide resources that may be useful.
September 8 is the date that we would usually be welcoming students back to campus. This year, we will be hosting two live sessions to welcome all students and to answer any questions that you may have about NIC and how we can support your success. Feel free to attend one or both sessions (the content may differ slightly)
- September 8 – Live Orientation Welcome Sessions at 11 am (PDT) and 1 pm (PDT) – link to be posted
Make sure you follow NIC on Facebook and Instagram, and request to join the NIC Student Life Facebook group!
Want more information? Contact our student recruiter-advisors at firstname.lastname@example.org
For New International Students
Hello new international students. We are pleased to offer the following live sessions available online throughout July and August. You can find login details for these sessions in your email. All sessions will be recorded and mailed out to new international students.
- July 7 - Test your Technology-Session 1 (by invitation to new international students with approved study permits)
- July 9 - Test your Technology-Session 2 (by invitation to new international students with approved study permits)
- July 21 - Meet the International Student Advisors
- July 24 - Special Webinar for students with Visa Pending (by registration/email only)
- July 27 - Prepare to Travel to Canada - Everything you Need to Know Before you Travel
- August 31 - Learning Digitally Tour for International Students - Session 1
- September 2 - Learning Digitally Tour for International Students - Session 2
Contact our global engagement liaison, Nadine, by emailing email@example.com if you need log in information or have questions.
For more information, visit our virtual orientation